Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Increasing PH? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/increasing-ph-20327/)

chris55 01-11-2009 02:29 PM

Increasing PH?

Hey guys new here, I just recently cycled my sick tank (20L) and it just finished today, amonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate 40 ppm (did water change). But my PH is at 6.0 or lower, how do i get my ph to go up without adding chemicals. The tank is brackish and i added the right amount of salt (1 tablespoon for every 10 gal), but it still wont budge and the water is declorinated. There is nothing in the tank but rocks and 2 1" air stones with a 10 gal air pump. Any help would be appreciated, i got a sick fish and need to move him into this tank but no before i get the ph right

Lupin 01-11-2009 07:55 PM

What salt did you use? What pH test kit are you using? You are required to use marine salt which has buffers included specially for brackish to marine tanks. Other options include crushed corals, crushed oyster shells, limestones, marble chips and plaster of Paris blocks which can all be placed in your filter. What are your hardness levels?

chris55 01-11-2009 09:54 PM

well the salt is api aquarium salt, and the test kit is the api fluid test kit, i just checked it again after the water change it seems like it got worse?? its confusing me, but i was told to use that salt for this type of fish (silver tipped shark) and theyve been in the 55 gal with the same stuff no prob, i just dont know what happened with this one. KH=0 GH=75......ppm (soft)

Lupin 01-11-2009 10:19 PM

Aquarium salt is pure sodium chloride. No buffers in it. I suggest you keep that in your cabinet and buy marine salt specially for brackish to saltwater tanks. Who told you to use aquarium salt for brackish water fish? A lot of store employees tell everyone BS. If the marine salt has not buffered your water enough yet, consider getting limestones, crushed corals and dolomite.

chris55 01-11-2009 10:44 PM

is the silver tipped shark a brakish water fish?? cause thats what they told me to use for his tank. Where would i find the crushed coral and dolomite??

Lupin 01-11-2009 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris55 (Post 162731)
is the silver tipped shark a brakish water fish?? cause thats what they told me to use for his tank. Where would i find the crushed coral and dolomite??

Yes, they're brackish. Try eBay.

chris55 01-13-2009 05:12 PM

hey being that he's brakish water could he go into a full saltwater setup?? The guy at the fish store told me that they are brakish in the begining of their life but one grown they are full saltwater fish, is this true or is it b.s.

Lupin 01-13-2009 08:20 PM

He'll be fine there. Acclimate by increasing salinity gradually.

chris55 01-13-2009 09:08 PM

so he can go in a full saltwater aquarium???

Lupin 01-13-2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris55 (Post 163339)
so he can go in a full saltwater aquarium???

That's what I said.lol