Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Of these, Which is best for Water Cycling? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/these-best-water-cycling-20306/)

Sj45 01-10-2009 04:44 PM

Of these, Which is best for Water Cycling?
 
-1 Red Tail Shark
-1 Angelfish
-5 Tiger Barbs
-1 Pleco
-10 Neon Tetras

Looking for 2-5 fish to water cycle a new tank, obviously these need to be hardier fish. I have a 55 gallon. Thank you so much, you guys have been great at answering my questions.

catfishtabbi 01-10-2009 06:52 PM

Danios survive the best,they're pretty cool too. you'll be advised to do a fish-free cycle here though.Search tank cycling,It's a long process for me to describe, but there are many well written posts on this forum.I was shocked when a staffer at a private store said for me to "finish up" with danios.Good luck, do read up.

onefish2fish 01-10-2009 09:08 PM

Pure ammonia will cycle a tank faster then it will with fish in it. If your planning on cycling with fish your going to have to do frequent water changes to keep the fish alive disrupting the cycling process.
Can you do it with fish?
Yes, you can cycle a tank with fish.
Are there other options?
Yes, as I have mentioned, cycling with ammonia without fish is fish friendly and a better solution.
If you want more on doing a "fishless cycle" (this is the method with pure ammonia) search these forums, google fishless cycle or ask questions.
Finally, the red tailed shark and common plecos will for sure get to large for a 55 gallon.

Twistersmom 01-10-2009 09:09 PM

I have never kept neon tetras, but I will admit to cycling an aquarium with tiger barbs. No deaths, but it was a lot of hard work. Lots of water test, and water changes. Almost daily water changes for a couple weeks. I know its no fun looking at a fishless tank, but a fishless cycle is a whole lot easier. Giant danios are highly recommended for fish cycles. It is said they deal very well with high nitrites.

Sj45 01-10-2009 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 162442)
Pure ammonia will cycle a tank faster then it will with fish in it. If your planning on cycling with fish your going to have to do frequent water changes to keep the fish alive disrupting the cycling process.
Can you do it with fish?
Yes, you can cycle a tank with fish.
Are there other options?
Yes, as I have mentioned, cycling with ammonia without fish is fish friendly and a better solution.
If you want more on doing a "fishless cycle" (this is the method with pure ammonia) search these forums, google fishless cycle or ask questions.
Finally, the red tailed shark and common plecos will for sure get to large for a 55 gallon.

A red tailed shark will not out grow a 55 gallon, already talked to an expert. (yes, i know they lie quite often at aquarium shops) and yes, depending on the kind, a pleco "may outgrow an aquarium.

Liveaquaria.com search red tailed sharks.

onefish2fish 01-11-2009 12:10 AM

a red tailed shark may not physically out grow the tank but will be territorial against other tank mates.

onefish2fish 01-11-2009 12:14 AM

and for the record liveaquaria isnt always right. i just went there and started looking at bala sharks. it says 70 gallon tank minimum best in groups 3 or more. if you keep 3 in a 75 gallon tank they will grow about a foot each. this will not work, and pref. balas should be kept 6+ which would require a large tank.

Sj45 01-11-2009 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 162487)
a red tailed shark may not physically out grow the tank but will be territorial against other tank mates.

that may be.

Sj45 01-11-2009 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 162488)
and for the record liveaquaria isnt always right. i just went there and started looking at bala sharks. it says 70 gallon tank minimum best in groups 3 or more. if you keep 3 in a 75 gallon tank they will grow about a foot each. this will not work, and pref. balas should be kept 6+ which would require a large tank.

I agree, bala sharks need a 125 gallon tank preferably for one or two, many people put this fish in too small of a tank. Not to mention they need schools.

Sj45 01-14-2009 12:40 AM

The are the fish I'm using.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2