Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Is my Swordtail pregnant? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/my-swordtail-pregnant-20301/)

zzdarkangelzz1988 01-10-2009 12:40 PM

Is my Swordtail pregnant?

Hi,
as u probably guessed im pretty new to the fish business! i have had my 60L tropical tank set up for 6weeks, and have 5 tetras, 3 snails and a pair of swordtails. now i also have 5 baby mollys, in the little net thing i bought!, from my mums tank as hers was too small for the baby net. my femal swordtail has got very fat and has started hiding alot. there does seem to be a bright white spot on her belly, and her poops have turned very very red, this hasnt been normal for her in the three weeks ive had her! is she pregnant? please help!!
thanx

aquakid 01-10-2009 06:36 PM

I think she's pregnant so move her to a different tank. I could be wrong only time can tell us the answer

Sucidemonkey 01-10-2009 06:53 PM

I thought the Prego Dot's were black. Ive never had pregnant swordtails. but Red poop sounds like there might be blood in it. Whats her diet?

or it might be your fish food is colored red :P

zzdarkangelzz1988 01-11-2009 03:24 PM

im feeding on TetraMin flakes, so brown pink n yellow flakes! the spot is definately bright white. it also was def not there when i got her three weeks ago. and it only the last two days that her poops bin bright red!
thanks for advise so far!

Sucidemonkey 01-11-2009 04:02 PM

Maybe its some kind of fungus. My moms balla sharks devoloped a cotton Bright white stuff on there fines and stuff.

my Sword tails are Dark red/Orange. and they gave birth and i never saw a white dot on them, not even a black one. But my guppies have black dots on them when they are prego.

Little-Fizz 01-11-2009 07:28 PM

If your swordtail is pregnant you would be able to tell. As she gets ready to drop the fry her belly will start to square off and she will look HUGE. The gravid spot doesn't have to be black, it is the frys eyes showing through their stomach.

Now my question is if your mothers tank is to small to hold a breeding net... Then how big is the tank? Mollies need a 20 gallon tank minimum.

If there is some pink in the food then thats probaly what is causing the red in the poo. As far as I know the colour of your fishes poo doesn't have anything to do with pregnancy.

Are you prepard to house these fry? Your swordtail could have some 30 odd babies that will all grow quite large (about 5 inches) So unless you have a large tank or a home for these fish then I wouldn't recommend trying to save all the fry. If you have some plants in your tank some of the fry will survive and that way you could keep the couple that survive.

zzdarkangelzz1988 01-12-2009 05:39 PM

ok thanks for ya help.

1. im not planning on being able to save all the fry, especially with the 5 mollies, as i havent got a second tank or anything but want to save a few, and have homes for some.

2. my mums tank is 35L (not sure what that is in Gallons?) she only has 2 mollies in it with a few other tiny fish such as tetre. id this is too small then surely the pet shop shouldnt of sold her the mollies?? knowing the size of her tank and all?

thanks

Little-Fizz 01-13-2009 02:25 PM

Your moms tank is 7.7 gallons... And your tank is 13.2. You're over stocked, the two mollies would do VERY well in a 20 gallon. And if you have a pair of swords plus you want to keep their babies then you would want like a 28 gallon, that would house 5 or so.

aquadude 01-26-2009 02:35 PM

you should get some floating breeding box like i have,my femail red wag swordtail is pregnant and i think i am starting to see her gravid spot.when should i move her into my breeding box.I have them in a 20 gallon aquarium.:-?

MonsiuerPercy1 01-26-2009 10:02 PM

I agree 100% with Aquadude. I have bred all types of livebearers successfully using these breeding boxes. If you do not want to use these then make sure your tank has a lot of cover for the new born fry, Java moss, and Hornwort being ideal.
When you see her gravid spot just pop her in there, she will be fine.