Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   is my platy pregnant???? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/my-platy-pregnant-202978/)

peyton02 06-11-2013 08:22 PM

is my platy pregnant????

2 Attachment(s)
I got my orange mickey mouse platy about a week ago along with another male platy and two mollies and i can't tell if she is just fat or if she is pregnant.

RackinRocky 06-13-2013 01:35 PM

Oh my goodness! She's HUGE! Looks about ready to pop! Mine looked like that right before birth. I can't see if there's a spot on her abdomen in these pics, but if she's been in with any males, that most certainly is the case!

Sylverclaws 07-03-2013 09:34 PM

She certainly looks like she is. I'd wager on that one. lol It's also possible she's fat...platies tend to get that way pretty easily, and with the already thick-bodied females it can make it difficult to tell which is which, even if you don't over-feed them ever. lol They find things to munch on themselves, especially if you have a planted tank. But most likely she is pregnant.

Since this was posted last month, how about an update? :3 I just love hearing about little wiggly babies. ^_^

peyton02 07-03-2013 09:45 PM

[quote=Sylverclaws;2466906]She certainly looks like she is. I'd wager on that one. lol It's also possible she's fat...platies tend to get that way pretty easily, and with the already thick-bodied females it can make it difficult to tell which is which, even if you don't over-feed them ever. lol They find things to munch on themselves, especially if you have a planted tank. But most likely she is pregnant.

Since this was posted last month, how about an update? :3 I just love hearing about little wiggly babies. ^_^[/QUOTE
here is the update! After moving her from one of my tanks to another tank with more plants to see if that would be a better fit for her Ii found 9 platy fry in the first one that she originally was in, then she gave birth to 1 more in the second one:) there is 10 total now....but she seems to be getting even fatter instead of skinnier. Is that normal?
Posted via Mobile Device

Sylverclaws 07-03-2013 09:55 PM

Haha, awesome! I hope they're all doing well. In the last six months I've gotten in a few hundred babies from my livebearers, it's been a busy year! Keeping up is a pain. ;D But, anything for my little buddies. =P

As for getting fatter, yes! Usually they thin up for a few days after birth though, and stay somewhat skinnier for a week or so before they start getting a belly again. It is also possible she is growing multiple broods, which means she wont look much skinnier after giving birth and will continue getting larger instead. They do not need to mate again for several months after one night with a boy. lol They can store sperm for up to a year, though most commonly they will give birth for a few months and then need to...re-stock. I have a gold platy that just LOVES to give me two broods per month, she's been giving birth twice a month to 10-20+ fry for about six months now. She gave me a bunch of kiddies about two weeks ago and I'm keeping my eye on her as we speak, actually, since she's acting laborey again. =P So don't be too shocked when that happens. All livebearers can do this.

However, if she gets too bad, there could be an issue...but it's more like she's a very fertile female. I hope you have room to raise the kids, platies grow fairly slow in comparison to other livebearer kiddies, they can take half a year or more to get to a size that people will buy them from you, should you choose to sell them.

I always suggest to people to feed their livebearers peas once or twice per week, especially pregnant mothers. And -always- after someone gave birth since some babies will get eaten and though a good(hate to say it) treat for the fish, too many can cause blockages. This keeps the comfort level up since they DO tend to get blockages and constipation quite often. Just get some fresh or frozen peas, no canned ones, boil them or heat them in hot water in the microwave, let them sit for an hour or so, remove the shells, cut them into quarters and feed them to her. All of your fish will enjoy them as a rare treat. :3 They're healthy, but are also a laxative, as well as a fix for swimbladder and such, so best kept as a tasty treat!