Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Cory Cat feeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/cory-cat-feeding-20272/)

Blissfulfish 01-09-2009 10:56 AM

Cory Cat feeding

Hello everyone! I just purchased 3 peppered cory cats for my community tank and I have a question about feeding them. So far they are doing very well. They hid for the first couple of minutes after being introduced to the tank but since then have been exploring and swimming like crazy. I dropped a Tetramin sinking wafer into the tank and watched to see what happened. The cats did find it but seemed to not be all that interested in the wafer itself. They would hang around the area where the wafer was dissolving but I couldn't tell if they were eating or not. I kind of figured they would peck at the wafer itself but they don't. Is that normal? A few times they pass right over the wafer as if it was just another piece of gravel.

Unfortunately, my insane zebra danios love the thing and were pecking at the wafer like crazy. Before I knew it I had a feeding frenzy of all my fish. I just can't tell if the cory cats are getting any food. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

1077 01-09-2009 11:12 AM

If the corys are not sick (see quarantine tank) then it might be they were fed prior to your purchase or perhaps they ain't hungry. If they are healthy they will eventually eat. Variety of foods such as shrimp pellets, freeze dried tubifex, and all kinds of flake foods are enjoyed by the ones i have.;-)

jeaninel 01-09-2009 02:27 PM

Maybe try a different brand? My cories go crazy for Omega One sinking shrimp pellets (so do the other fish!). I also feed them Hikari sinking wafers and they love those too.

Twistersmom 01-09-2009 03:18 PM

Bloodworms from the freezer section, are my corys favorite. They also sink after being thawed out in a little tank water.

jeaninel 01-09-2009 04:19 PM

Ah, yes. Frozen bloodworms are always a favorite but shouldn't be fed every day. I use them once or twice a week.

Blissfulfish 01-10-2009 06:03 PM

Thanks for the input! I fed them again today and it went much better. They must not have been too hungry yesterday. They ate fine today, although all of my other fish tend to like the sinking wafers as well! I'm going to drop one in there tonight, after the lights are off.

Thanks again. The corys have been a great addition to the tank. They are a lot of fun to watch.

wato 01-10-2009 08:12 PM

anything that sinks to the bottom my corys will fight for it, even eating from a plecos mouth (4 times its size)

veganchick 01-18-2009 07:58 PM

they might just be ajusting to the tank, mine didn't eat at all the first day!

Tyyrlym 01-28-2009 08:24 AM

Corys are also scavengers so an algae wafer isn't going to be too appetizing to them. They will eat it but things like shrimp pellets, bloodworms, and other things will be more appetizing to them. Then again it could just be first day jitters.

flight50 01-30-2009 06:10 PM

i once read that on the fist day, you should not feed the newcomers. yet observe them and check their behavior. alot of times, depending on when purchased, they might not be too hungry. although cories scavenge majority of the time. as mentioned mine loved shrimp pellets, the hikari wafers and blood worms. protein and fresh cooler water good my panda cories to spawn once.