Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   My tank has cycled! Need opinions now! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/my-tank-has-cycled-need-opinions-20239/)

MBilyeu 01-08-2009 01:00 AM

My tank has cycled! Need opinions now!

After about 11 weeks of headache, I finally have a cycled tank! Now on to the plans which I need some ideas for and opinions on. My idea is to have mostly guppies, but with a centerpiece fish, and maybe a couple of dwarf gouramis. I want all additional guppies to come from my breeding tank which I am in the process of cycling, and will then look for a female. So I was thinking about getting two dwarf gouramis this weekend, and then looking for a centerpiece fish. I originally wanted a bala shark, but now know that there is no way that is working. I was also looking at an angelfish, but I don't know if my tank is big enough, and if the angel would be too aggressive. I like the geman blue ram and american flagfish on liveaquaria, but after shipping that is way to much for one fish for this tank, and I can't find them locally. The final plan is to move the glofish to another tank, get two gouramis, breed guppies to eventually have 8-10 in there, and have a centerpiece fish. I am unsure if I will be keeping the inverts or moving them to another tank later on. Opinions?

Tyyrlym 01-08-2009 06:28 AM

If you get dwarf gouramis you need to make sure you get either two females or a male and a female. I've yet to see a female dwarf gourami for sale in a pet store though, its almost exclusively male.

MBilyeu 01-08-2009 09:56 PM

Two males are no good huh? Well what about just one male for now? I have seen some female dwarf gouramis for sale, and I would get one but I would want them breeding in my community tank. As long as I keep the water level up I shouldn't have a problem with that correct?

Does anyone have suggestions for my centerpiece fish?

MBilyeu 01-08-2009 10:28 PM

To add on to my question... I was wondering if I can look at a semi-aggressive fish for a centerpiece? I like the thought of having an angelfish, even though I might not be able to stock the tank with as many guppies then. What about a single smaller cichlid? Like a cockatoo or an apistogramma? I know that the rams would work, but I just haven't found any locally.

I think what I am looking for is a fish that will be slightly bigger than the rest, so it will stand out and look like the leader of the tank. Without stressing the other fish of course!

Tyyrlym 01-09-2009 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBilyeu (Post 161957)
Two males are no good huh? Well what about just one male for now? I have seen some female dwarf gouramis for sale, and I would get one but I would want them breeding in my community tank. As long as I keep the water level up I shouldn't have a problem with that correct?

No, two males are not good. Not two male bettas kinda bad, but still bad. You can have multiple males in large tanks where they can cordon off their own territories but in smaller tanks they'll be in each other's face all the time.

If you've seen some females consider yourself lucky, I want a pair of dwarf gourami's at some point but won't buy them until I see a pair... and you know, get another tank.

MBilyeu 01-09-2009 07:16 PM

Thanks tyyrlym. Does anybody know about putting an angel in? Any other suggestions?

veganchick 01-09-2009 10:48 PM

Yes, I think that an angel would do just fine in there as long as you only had ONE angel! It would be a great tank! I think that an angel is prly the best bet for a centerpeice fish! Just make sure you have some hiding places because at first the angel may chase the gups a bit, but he will stop pestering them! Its only temporary! So YES, i would put in an angel fish

MBilyeu 01-09-2009 11:18 PM

And I did!!!! Thanks for your input.:-)