Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Does 3 Gallon Tank Need Heater? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/does-3-gallon-tank-need-heater-202313/)

Korahkas 06-10-2013 06:22 PM

Does 3 Gallon Tank Need Heater?

4 Attachment(s)
Hello, I'm new to the forum and joined because....
My fish had their first batch of fry a month or so ago and I've never had babies before so I'm a bit excited. I found them while cleaning the tank unfortunately and am not sure how many may have been eaten, but I ended up with seven and put them all in a breeder tank by themselves. Mom and pop still try to get to them through the plastic.

I feel they may be large enough for the community tank but don't want to risk it. My dad ended up finding a 3 gallon tank and giving it to me for the babies until they are a bit older and larger. It has a bubbler and a small filter, but no heater. So I was wondering, is it required/needed that I get one? And if so, what would be the best least expensive thing I could get as I'm short on cash. I'm not sure what kind of fish I have, but I'll add an attachment of them and the tank.

KPainter 06-10-2013 06:44 PM

They look like mollies to me.

tanisha5300 06-10-2013 06:56 PM

Are they freshwater fishes? If they are then if you see that the temperature goes below 70 degrees Fahrenheit then you might want to turn the heater on. Freshwater fishes usually have to be in a temp of 70-80 degrees Fahrenheit. Heaters are usually not that expensive and can be found at a local pet store. Hope this helps. :)

KPainter 06-10-2013 06:58 PM

You can check out the molly profile here for more info.

Korahkas 06-10-2013 07:18 PM

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the help.
I had just cleaned some algae off the sides of their tank before reading that link and in the link it says not to do that -_- I've still a lot to learn but I care a lot about my fish and am trying to do the best I can for them.

Byron 06-11-2013 09:41 AM

The two larger fish in the last two pictures are platy. Presumably the fry are from these. The fry are of sufficient size to keep in the main tank, they willnot be eaten by the two pictured fish.

What disturbs me is that the two fish are sitting on the gravel. This is not normal. What is the temperature in the main tank? What size is it?
How often do you do water changes, and how much water is chaged?

Byron.

AbbeysDad 06-11-2013 12:35 PM

I have to disagree....Platy parents will indeed hunt and eat their fry.
Yes, you should have a heater. You can get an inexpensive Tetra submersible at Wallymart.

Byron 06-11-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbeysDad (Post 2296746)
I have to disagree....Platy parents will indeed hunt and eat their fry.
Yes, you should have a heater. You can get an inexpensive Tetra submersible at Wallymart.

Agree, but those in the photo look larger than this. Aren't they?

AbbeysDad 06-11-2013 01:03 PM

My bad, you're correct - once they get about the size of neon tetra's they're safe from mom and dad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 2296866)
Agree, but those in the photo look larger than this. Aren't they?