Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Overstocked? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/overstocked-202225/)

HappyTurtle 06-10-2013 03:38 PM

Overstocked?

I currently have eight tetras, two angels, and two ADFs in a planted 20 gallon which used to house my common goldfish (until he lept for freedom and landed in the mouth of a dog while the hood was off....). Have I overstocked?? I just want to double check. I want everyone to be as happy as possible in there!

Byron 06-10-2013 04:37 PM

Assuming these are all small at present, you're fine for the moment, but you will be overstocked very soon. The angelfish need more space, though it is possible to keep a mated pair in a 20g on their own for spawning. Otherwise, I would not, as they need space to be themselves and two 6-inch fish with an 8-inch fin span are not going to be happy in such cramped quarters.

Without knowing the tetra species, I can't say if that may be trouble with the angels or not.

Byron.

jaysee 06-10-2013 07:48 PM

Neons and rummynose tetras are the species.

Byron 06-10-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 2292897)
Neons and rummynose tetras are the species.

Oh dear, well, then that's problematic too. Though again, at present things will likely (but not necessarily) work out. But a mature angel will readily eat a mature neon; rummys might fare better, though linear small fish are not recommended for angelfish. And one can't forget that even if the angels don't physically attack the tetra, they are still sending out the chemical allomones that they want to, and this stresses the characins which have highly developed chemical sensory systems.

Not a good match all round.

jentralala 06-10-2013 09:28 PM

I agree with what's been said. Those angels are either going to need the tank all to themselves (if they are a true mated pair), or a larger tank (somewhere in the range of a 55 gallon). These fish do get quite large, at six inches long and 6-8 inches tall. When they reach full size (or even half size) there is a considerable amount of bioload to consider in a tank that size, on top of having the 8 tetras and 2 ADF.

I once saw a mature angelfish at my LFS and he was bigger than both my hands. They had him in a ten gallon 'display' tank, and he could neither turn around, nor keep his bottom fin from dragging.

I'd recommend rehoming the angels (the rest of your stocking is fine, you could up your neon/rummy numbers if you removed the angels) or getting a larger tank, for the comfort of the angelfish.

I also recommend checking out the site 'aqadvisor', it's basically a calculator that helps guide tank stocking. It's not foolproof, but the majority of the information is accurate and it gives proper warnings and tips, and is a good rough guideline when working out potential stocking.