Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Need ideas for some new fish for my tank! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/need-ideas-some-new-fish-my-20218/)

Guppy Girl 01-07-2009 01:49 AM

Need ideas for some new fish for my tank!

Hey.
Im getting rid of my female guppies, both danios, and my molly cross breeds.
I will be keeping my male guppies, M and F bettas and my tetras, aswell as my pepper and pictus cat fish.

I was wondering what new fish I could get in there?
Something colorful, and hardy.

Need some ideas

PS, its a 29 gallon tank

onefish2fish 01-07-2009 01:54 AM

you have male and female bettas in the same tank?

more tetras? i love big schools of neons in a planted tank

Guppy Girl 01-07-2009 01:59 AM

Yeah, they live together quite peacefully surprisingly. No one attacked anyone, they just go about their own business.

I was thinking more tetras too, but I want some that are really bright. Im thinking about getting a bunch of black plants and gravel, with a dark background, to make everything appear even brighter I think it would look really cool. Just need loads of ideas

Know of any good tetras? I know I want a school of Cardinals, but anything else colorful, of anything?

onefish2fish 01-07-2009 02:05 AM

i am shocked. i believe bettas will either mate or kill eachother. are you sure its a M/F combo and not 2 females? that can even be risky

black substrate with a painted black background with live plants and all neon tetras with cherry red shrimp is my favorite kind of freshwater set up.

out of all of the colorful fish i would just personally avoid the glofish as they are only painted danios and most die going through that process. talk about horrible.

Guppy Girl 01-07-2009 02:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Nope, male and female.

Attachment 499

Attachment 500

I disturbed her sleep haha

But yeah, they acctually get along. Its quite strange. Hes never even chased her once. He examined her, but then swam away. Hes very peaceful, and so is she =]

Hmm.. Yes, I like that idea

But the shrimp? Would they be okay with a pictus cat?

onefish2fish 01-07-2009 02:15 AM

im not 100% on that but the bettas might eat them.

and holy guppies batman!

you can always look on a site at fish and them post ideas here of which whats interest you try,
Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums

Guppy Girl 01-07-2009 02:26 AM

Lmao I know hey!
Thats why most of them are going to new homes, and Im only keepng the males (they are colorful :D)

Hmm.. Well, Im up for any idea of any thing colorful haha

Oh, and by the way, Im not to great with live plants >_<

Guppy Girl 01-07-2009 02:32 AM

Oh, what about dwarf gouramis, and some cardinal tetras?

fishboy5000 01-10-2009 09:44 AM

I think swordtails might work. if your going to get those though you should be careful because when I got mine my female murdered the male and three mollies then when I put it in a different tank with a tetra in it and lots of plants while I went out to get a better tank I thought the plants would protect the tetra when I came back the tetra was lying on the bottom of the tank with all its fins torn off- dead. I now have it in a seperate tank alone but I have no clue what to do with it. yeah so be careful

Guppy Girl 01-11-2009 12:45 PM

Well, Im not planning on anymore live bearers, which is why Im getting rid of my mollies and guppies, aswell as my danios and that red and yellow fish.. (I really cant remember the name lol, I think its a platy, but it doesnt really look like one, but it is a livebearer)
So Im thinking more along the lines of tetras and gouramis and some kili loaches