Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Sunshine Peacock Compatabilty (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/sunshine-peacock-compatabilty-202153/)

Canadian Fish 06-10-2013 02:30 PM

Sunshine Peacock Compatabilty

Wondering if I can keep a (or multiple) sunshine peacock cichlids in a community tank with large congo tetras, banded leporinus, a blood parrot cichild and a ropefish. I'd prefer one male.

Right now everybody gets along. Aquadvisor says the sunshine peacock is not compatible, but every profile I have read on them says they are peaceful enough for most community tanks, they usually stake out a territory and aggression is typically limited to chasing other fish out of that area.

Anyone have any experience keeping these with other fish? I love the yellow in the males.

Tank is 72" long x 24" wide x 30" high.

Thanks.

Canadian Fish 06-10-2013 04:52 PM

Having looked into it a little more, I think they would be incompatible because of different PH requirements.

Agent13 06-10-2013 04:56 PM

Yes, African cichlids aren't compatible with other cichlids. Even some African cichlids shouldn't be with ones from different lakes in Africa. I actually just got a sunshine peacock. I can wait to see what it looks like when he's bigger. However the store I shop at has a massive 350g tank that does have a few South Americans in with Africans. They explained how it worked but honestly I can't remember but I believe the tank size helped somewhat

Sent from Petguide.com App

djembekah 06-20-2013 01:57 AM

wait you're ALIVE???

eta: sorry, i just got excited. different pH requirements would probably be an issue yes :)

Canadian Fish 06-21-2013 06:01 PM

I am alive! Just got back from a 5 day camping trip and all the fish survived. Fed 'em Monday morning before we left and today when we returned, and the neighbor fed 'em on Wednesday.

AndrewM21 06-21-2013 07:23 PM

Peacocks are peaceful until they are put in an environment as to where they have the ability to bully other fish, if you give them the opportunity to do so then they will absolutely walk through the door. Putting a male in the aquarium will only further the aggression due to the fact they will always aim to establish dominance, which is something that is unavoidable in the cichlid world. It's not a matter of if it will happen, but when.

YMMV, however, you could experience no issues considering there are no suitable mates that would be in the aquarium and thus no reason to shred mating competition. However, the aggression is dormant is most "peaceful" cichlids and will emerge eventually in the manner of which the incredible hulk does.

Hope this helps.

Agent13 06-21-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewM21 (Post 2372674)
. It's not a matter of if it will happen, but when.

However, the aggression is dormant is most "peaceful" cichlids and will emerge eventually in the manner of which the incredible hulk does.

Sooo so true! I have watched this as mine grow and as new tank mates are added. Have been 100% shocked a few times at who becomes the tank boss(the bully) and who becomes the peacemaker. Complete shifts have happened instantly in their personalities. "peaceful" is relative and can be changed by many different triggers