Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Fish Filter CONVERSION! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fish-filter-conversion-20199/)

thenewguy86 01-06-2009 02:01 AM

Fish Filter CONVERSION!

Hello!

So I went to Petco, this nice man asked me what kind of filter I have. I said I have the AquaTech, and then he said why waste your money on filter cartridge replacement, when you can just turn it into a sponge filter. So I went home and thought to myself, Can I replace the cartridge with a conventional SINK or CAR washing sponge? Any suggestions guys?

Well thanks for reading. Just an idea. If there are any dangerous substances in conventional sponges such as dish washing or car sponge please let me know or if this can even work.:lol:

Thankss

onefish2fish 01-06-2009 02:18 AM

you dont have to change your filter pad out very often.
i wouldnt touch the filter pad until in water was overflowing from it, when it happens you will know what i am talking about.
when this occurs remove the pad and swish it around in some old tank water that you have taken out after a water change. replace the pad when its falling apart, literally.

Tyyrlym 01-06-2009 09:08 AM

No, the kind of sponge used in a sponge filter is not the same as used for most other applications. It's a far less dense sponge than you'll find in most places. Do you have a link or any more info about your filter? There are plenty of things you can do to get away from constant cartridge replacement.

SinCrisis 01-06-2009 12:48 PM

just get filter foam or floss and stuff ur filter with it. Rinse weekly with your water changes.

Tyyrlym 01-06-2009 02:48 PM

Stuffing it could cause problems depending on how water is supposed to flow through the filter. Too much restriction can result in water bypassing the media to leave via the emergency overflow or something similar.

thenewguy86 01-06-2009 07:59 PM

Here is the link from walmart with my exact same filter. I do have filter floss, the cotton kinda thing if you mean that. I was planning to stuff it in after.. the cartridge became yucky =P

Walmart.com: Aqua-Tech: 20-40 Gallons Power Filter, 1 ct: Fish

If any other suggestions please let me know. Thanks for helping a newbie out! =P

Tyyrlym 01-07-2009 07:43 AM

I thought it looked familiar. I think your Aqua-Tech is a stripped down marineland filter without a bio-wheel. If you buy a Penguin 170 Bio-wheel, bearings, and frame you can add a biowheel to your Aqua-tech and it'll run. I'd highly recommend this modification as it will move your biological filtration to the Bio-wheel and off your sponges. Then you can maintain the sponges pretty rigorously without disturbing your bio filter. That being said this is just hearsay, I've never done this retro fit myself.

If this is true though you might be able to also use some replacement aftermarket filter frames. Dr. Fosters & Smith sell these clamshell cartridges that fit marineland filters. They let you use any kind of sponge or floss you want and it keeps it oriented properly for the filter to function. Aquarium Filter Media: Drs. Foster & Smith Bio3 Penguin Filter Cartridges You'd probably use the ones that fit a Penguin 170. If you can take one of your cartridges and get the dimensions along with a picture I could tell you if these will probably fit. I use these and they work great.

The issue I see with just stuffing your compartment full of filter floss and calling it done is that Marineland filters are not designed to operate like that. They don't pump water in from the bottom and force it up through the filter material. They pump it in from behind and use the space at the rear of the filter as a kind of reservoir to push the water uniformly through the filter material and then up and out. If you pack the filter full of floss there's no reservoir and the flow path through the floss will bypass most of it and really reduce the effectiveness of the filter. Also, filter floss is not easy to clean. Thankfully its cheap and it can be disposed of when it gets too gunked up. If that's all that's in your filter though it'll have to be your bio-filter as well. At that point you've got the problem that your disposable filter floss now has your indispensable nitrifying bacteria on it, not good.

SinCrisis 01-07-2009 11:11 AM

I have a penguin myself and i used a tetra whisper filter floss bag thingy and just folded it in ahlf and used that and my filter ran great. The floss bag folded in half fills the entire media basket area. So regardless of where the water is taken in, it is forced through the floss.

Tyyrlym 01-07-2009 11:21 AM

The water will go through, I'm not saying it won't, it's just not going to be distributed properly with the way the filter is designed.

SinCrisis 01-08-2009 02:01 AM

oh. how do i know if its working properly? When i took it out to clean it looked like what my normal penguin filter media frame woulda looked like. The brown gunk was distributed evenly throughout the entire floss. Is there some way i can see if an alternative media will allow the filter to work properly?