Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   help with starting an aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/help-starting-aquarium-201946/)

steve123 06-10-2013 01:09 AM

help with starting an aquarium

i went to a fish store and i saw saltwater fish and aquarium setup for saltwater for the first time.i was thinking about a 10 or 15 gallon.so i want to know what things should i get and newbie fishes.i am not completely new to fishkeeping i have a freshwater aquarium which is doing well.thx in advance :-)

Kuddos 2 U 06-10-2013 03:19 AM

Shoot, I'm not so much as an expert when it comes to saltwater aquariums as much as I am freshwater, but just wanted to tell you to keep us updated if you complete you setup:-D

bigehugedome 06-10-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve123 (Post 2287482)
i went to a fish store and i saw saltwater fish and aquarium setup for saltwater for the first time.i was thinking about a 10 or 15 gallon.so i want to know what things should i get and newbie fishes.i am not completely new to fishkeeping i have a freshwater aquarium which is doing well.thx in advance :-)

Steve,

Im not the expert here but im about 8 months into my first SW tank so I can start the thread off.

SW is a little more work and can be a lot more expensive then FW. That being said, if you choose to make the journey, you need to take things really slow if you want to have a great tank.

First, IMO, decide on a budget, and get the biggest tank you can afford/maintain/have in your living space/ etc. Reason behind this is lager volumes of water have smaller swings in parameters so they are somewhat easier to take care of. There are pros and cons to large vs small as there are for everything.

That being said you need about 1.5-2lbs of Rock per gallon of water. You can buy it Live from the Fish store or dry at sites like marco rock and then seed it.

You will also want 1-2" or 4-6" inches of sand if going for a deep sand bed. I will not suggest which way to go, I will leave that to the other experts here.

You REALLY should get an RO/DI unit. It will make life much easier. Some alternatives to RO/DI are Distilled water, or you can buy water from your LFS. RO/DI will save you money in the long run, as well as your back:lol:

You also need to decide if you want fish only with live rock (FOWLR) or a reef tank (corals, inverts etc). This factors into what lights you need, etc.

Lastly all I will say is RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARH!!!!!!!! You should give this a month or so at minimum of time and thought before you start to buy things. Decide on a budget, what you want to keep, what you can handle taking care of etc. It took me over a year of research before I decided to go for it, and im still not an expert :lol:

Checkout these fish, inverts, and corals . Keep in mind the minimum tank size, their behavior (peaceful or aggressive) and if they are reef safe. We also have Fish Profiles and Reference Material on this site to look at.

Nano Fish
SW Beginner Fish

Beginner Coral
Nano Coral

steve123 06-11-2013 12:28 AM

got that

hello,thanks for your advice so far.i have heard that saltwater is harder to keep than freshwater so before i even do anything,i want some people to give me advice about the aquarium thing i should get and recommended fish:-)

RSully 06-11-2013 01:17 AM

Saltwater is harder to get set-up and established but is not more difficult than freshwater after that. Again, that's once you have everything stable.

beaslbob 06-11-2013 01:20 PM

Psssst!

wanna know a little secret?

The dirty little secret is that using macro algae makes a saltwater tank almost as easy as a low tech FW planted tank.

No live rock needed.

no live sand needed.

no filters needed.

no water changes needed.

But it would be best to protect the macro algae behind a partition just to keep the fish from eating it. I use 1/4" square plastic grids sold a lighting diffusers at building supply stores. A 4'x2' section is like $10 or so.

Then you can use common (hopefully limestone) landscape rocks for decorations and play sand for substrate.

I just to get even more simple use a common $2 molly as your first fish. If you can acclimate it to salt water and it survives for a few weeks you are almost assured the more expensive marine fish will live there also.

still that's just my .02