Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Algea (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/algea-201730/)

aklick 06-09-2013 06:48 PM

Algea

I have had my planted tank set up for at least 6 month's or more now. I have always had algea. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

I have a Glo T5 HO Linear Fluorescent Lighting System Single bulb with a Coralife 80413 6700K T-5 High Output Fluorescent Lamp, 39-Watt bulb

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...#ixzz2VlYozhfL

My light is on for about 12 hours a day. I have lots of ricca floating. It takes up nearly 1/2 of the top of my tank so it provides some shade.

Byron 06-09-2013 07:37 PM

I read through that thread, there were a lot of issues.:-)

Algae was mentioned near the end, but we didn't identify it. Can you? A photo would be best.

While we're waiting for that... algae isnormal in any planted tank. A "natural" method planted tank that is totally free of algae is frankly not normal, as it is a part of every natural aquatic system. Our aim is to control algae so it does not take over. Light balanced with nutrients will achieve this.

Byron.

aklick 06-09-2013 07:41 PM

Oh ok, it's very minimal. I just have to clean it off the walls of my fish tank.

you are right though, makes sense that it's a normal part of a planted tank!

My algea since my last thread has gone WAY down though. My thaiwan moss looks bad though. I'll have to post a picture of that so you can tell me what you think.

My plants are doing MUCH better now. Other then the thaiwan moss that is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 2285474)
I read through that thread, there were a lot of issues.:-)

Algae was mentioned near the end, but we didn't identify it. Can you? A photo would be best.

While we're waiting for that... algae isnormal in any planted tank. A "natural" method planted tank that is totally free of algae is frankly not normal, as it is a part of every natural aquatic system. Our aim is to control algae so it does not take over. Light balanced with nutrients will achieve this.

Byron.

Byron 06-09-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aklick (Post 2285498)
Oh ok, it's very minimal. I just have to clean it off the walls of my fish tank.

you are right though, makes sense that it's a normal part of a planted tank!

My algea since my last thread has gone WAY down though. My thaiwan moss looks bad though. I'll have to post a picture of that so you can tell me what you think.

My plants are doing MUCH better now. Other then the thaiwan moss that is.

Algae on the tank glass is not problematic, though depending upon what it is, it might suggest an excess of fertilization, or light. I use one of those sponge scrapers on the front glass of all my tanks every week during the water change, even though I may not see anything. Rarely do I do the other sides, but in my 90g only I do. For some reason algae is more prevalent in this tank, even though the water, fertilization, light, fish load is basically the same in all 7 tanks. I experimented and by reducing the liquid Flourish to once per week (other tanks are getting more) it deal with the algae, or considerably slowed it.

Post the photo of the moss, I'll see if I can help. B.

aklick 04-27-2014 02:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 2285546)
Algae on the tank glass is not problematic, though depending upon what it is, it might suggest an excess of fertilization, or light. I use one of those sponge scrapers on the front glass of all my tanks every week during the water change, even though I may not see anything. Rarely do I do the other sides, but in my 90g only I do. For some reason algae is more prevalent in this tank, even though the water, fertilization, light, fish load is basically the same in all 7 tanks. I experimented and by reducing the liquid Flourish to once per week (other tanks are getting more) it deal with the algae, or considerably slowed it.

Post the photo of the moss, I'll see if I can help. B.

I still am having algae problems. I wish I had taken a picture before I cleaned up some of the algae. As it is it killed all my Taiwan moss. I have more Taiwan moss that made it's way to the log I have in my fish tank and has given my take a really nice "natural" look. that is also being taken over by this algae.

It is taking of my Ricca too :( it gets so bad that the algae keeps growing downwards from my ricca. I keep taking it off and throwing it out (again wish I had taken a picture prior to cleaning my tank)

I only have 5 fish and I have a 55 gallon tank so I know I need more fish but would that be the only contributing factor? My light is set to be on for 12 hours but I've been turning it off so it's only on 10 hours a day now.

Here are a few pictures I took but the quality is not that great.

Oh and my amazon swords have never done really well. Which I find odd because I have had the in every tank I own and they have always thrived. To the point where they out grow the tank (and this is with NO fertilizer or efforts on my part- then again those tanks had a LOT more fish in them )

The only fertilizer I use is Seachem Folourish but I have not fertilized in about a month. I do have eco complete as my substrate but I plan on swapping that out for a nice sand soon.