Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   Todays purchase - Purple Gonipora (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/todays-purchase-purple-gonipora-201706/)

GwenInNM 06-09-2013 07:02 PM

Todays purchase - Purple Gonipora

1 Attachment(s)
My friend who buys stuff from others and resells, sold me this for $25, which I think is a great deal. Not sure I spelled the name right? :lol: Needs some TLC, and I know many aren't successful with these, but I'm giving it a try. Hope polyps extend more with time.

Gwen

RSully 06-10-2013 12:28 AM

Yours is the first I've seen of a few with any polyp extension what so ever so you got that going for ya. I've read they are very tempermental but there are some good articles if you do a google search.

badxgillen 06-10-2013 01:07 AM

Just make sure to feed it and not to have it in direct flow.

GwenInNM 06-10-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badxgillen (Post 2287226)
Just make sure to feed it and not to have it in direct flow.

I've read the do like high flow, but I'm still doing as much learning as I can. ;-) I've also read contradicting info about them liking "dirty" water and others saying "pristine". I have 0 nitrates and always have had that reading since the tank was set up 8 months ago.

badxgillen 06-10-2013 12:29 PM

There is a big difference between high flow and direct flow.You can have a high flow tank and not have it laminar by having the current deflected off of any surface be it a tank wall,live rock,surface agitation, or a flow deflector that come in many forms. Basically don't blast it with the pump directly. The reason you are reading conflicting info on the dirty water is because A: there are several types of goniapora that have different needs as well as alveapora that is often confused as goniapora B:Some of those species come from turbid waters in there native habitat but for the most part those waters have there "breaths" of fresh water from the sea C: the success in dirty water usually can be attributed to the presence of planktonic lifeforms,dissolved nutrients, and digestible bacteria that the coral can utilize.

Back to the topic though just keep the circulation pump from direct contact with the coral and feed it once or twice a week when you feed your other corals and you should be fine.One other thing is they are prone to bacterial infections so if you see even the smallest piece of tissue damage utilize a antibacterial coral dip,I like old school iodine.

GwenInNM 06-13-2013 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you for the advise. Here's a snap shot from just now - doing better, which I'm happy about. Slow change, but better:-) I've fed coral frenzy and directly fed some R.O.E (Real Organic eggs) a fish product for fish and corals. Don't think he got any of that however:-?

Gwen

wake49 06-13-2013 04:36 PM

Looks good! :thumbsup:

badxgillen 06-13-2013 06:24 PM

Best time to feed is when the polyps are extended as in the picture or else they cannot capture any of the food items.I turn off my circulation pumps when I am feeding mine and make sure that everyone gets there share even the fish so they are not tempted to aggravate the goniapora during feeding.Looks like a real nice specimen so keep up the good work.

RSully 06-13-2013 07:07 PM

That thing looks great Gwen.

GwenInNM 06-19-2013 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just wanted to show you all the changes. Getting some green on it, and it's turning a bit more of a brown color than purple. Be interesting to see where it goes over time :-D

I love seeing how much it's changed since the picture the day I got it.