Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   give us a clue?????? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/give-us-clue-2016/)

fiona 12-23-2006 01:15 PM

give us a clue??????

i brought some new guppies today. iv got 5 male and 5 female. they all seem fine, but i think 1 of the females might be ready to give birth!!!
she has a very fat belly and i saw that i need to look for a black spot on the back end of the belly which she has got.
so is she or not????
i dont have another tank that id be able to put her into so if she does have babies they'll prob get eaten.
i just dont know if thats what it is or not!!!!!
some help would be great!!!

Gump 12-23-2006 02:07 PM

A good male to female ratio for guppies is around 1:3 or 1:4. the more males you have the more stress they put on the prego females and can cause lost batches or death to the female.

As for the babies, if the tank is just the guppies just leave the prego female alone and when she gives birth some will get eaten but a lot will live and you will soon have to many you wont know what to do with them. If you have some java moss or a plant like that to add it would help in giving the fry somewhere to go to hide.

fish_4_all 12-23-2006 02:19 PM

The male female ratio for guppies isn't as important as it is with other live bearers, especially swords. They males don't pester as much and I have never had a problem with females stressed out. You will however have more than you will ever know to do with as far as guppies in a very short time. I started with 2 female and 1 male once and within 8 weeks I had 150+ guppies. If they are the fancy guppies, maybe not as much as worry as they might eat a few more babies but they will still become alot before you know what to do with them.

Ask your LFS if they will take back the babies or if you have a fish that eats live food, that is always an option.

crazie.eddie 12-23-2006 02:41 PM

(Message deleted by poster)

fiona 12-23-2006 03:33 PM

cheers guys.
they all seem fine. when i first got my tank i had 6 guppies (3male 3 female) and i had no babies and they we're all fine.
problems with the tank caused 5 of them to die and i was left with 1 male and he's been doing great on his own.
just dunno what im gunna do with hudereds of babies!!!!
:? :roll: :? :roll: :? :roll: :?

St6_Devgru 12-23-2006 11:28 PM

flaoting breeding trap works wonders :D

Lupin 12-24-2006 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St6_Devgru
flaoting breeding trap works wonders :D

Not recommended. It is not suitable especially for large female swordtails. As they have nowhere to hide, they will become stressed in their attempt to even jump out of it.

crazie.eddie 12-24-2006 08:19 AM

(Message deleted by poster)

fish_4_all 12-24-2006 02:21 PM

When I used them I put a ton of anacharis in there and the female did fine. Gave her a place to hide and the fry survived well. I did use the larger net breeder so maybe that made a difference.

Reavel011 12-27-2006 02:12 PM

You should always keep 1 male guppy and swordtail to every 2 females. My male guppies harrass my female guppies. I would remove the pregnant female from the tank and slowly introduce her to a smaller tank. Put it in a place where she won't be disturbed so that she can be comfortable.