Has my tank crashed?
I have been treating my tank for ich. Now that all visible symptoms have been non existent for three days I did a 50% water change last night. The water tests both before & after were disappointing, to say the least. Prior to water change ammonia measured .25, nitrites .25. This morning I tested again. Results were ammonia zero, nitrite reading was in between 0 and .25.
The questions I have are:
Did the meds crash my bio filter? The medication I used was Kordon's Rid-Ich. I used it at 1/2 the recommended dose as the tank houses loaches, otos, and a pictus.
Should I do another water change today? If I should do a water change I think it should be a 20% change. Or, do I give it another day to give the bio filter a chance to "catch" up??
Any other info I need to supply for a response??
Yes, the meds may have affected your bio filter. Keep an eye on the water parameters and hopefully your filter should recover quickly. If you get an ammonia or nitrite reading do a water change...20-25% should be good.
I performed my water tests tonight and have zero readings for ammonia & nitrite. What a relief! I've been worried about it all day since this morning's results. I told myself I'd wait for 12 hours and retest before I did a water change. I'm glad I waited. I'll test again in the am.
Thanks for your help!
I'm just curious..
You said that the readings after your first testing was also dissappointing... But I'm wondering why?
Wasn't a reading of zero ammonia and low nitrite after a water change a good thing? Ohhh Or where you wanting to see the nitrites at zero too?
Yes, both nitrites and ammonia should be at zero. It's fine to have a reading for nitrates as long as it 40 ppm or less. Getting a nitrite reading after such a large water change had me very concerned. For now everything seems stable but I'll continue to test my water daily until I know it's back on track.
Glad to hear you finally got that ick cleared up.:-D
So am I! It was a brutal round of medication. The instructions were to dose every 24 hours and then for three days on top of that after the last visible signs of ich were seen. It ended up being a total of 12 days of meds. It seemed that every day new spots were appearing on my clown loaches. I was sure every plant I had would die and that I'd lose fish but they all made it through. Whew....
By the way, your barbs and loaches tank is stunning! I'm so jealous you have Dennisons Barbs.:tongue:
Well, thanks! That picture is about four months old and I need to post some new ones when I can get around to taking some. I took that picture right after I had planted it for the first time and the tank has filled in since then. Those barbs were ridiculously priced but I just had to have them.... :roll:
PS. Your tanks are stunning too! I love them. I'm jealous you have Congos!!
Thanks! OK, I guess we're even.
Yeah, I've seen those barbs go for anywhere from $27 to $50 each! Gets expensive when you have to buy a school too! Oh, well, maybe some day.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2