Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Setting Up a Breeding Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/setting-up-breeding-tank-20137/)

chromiskid 01-04-2009 09:21 AM

Setting Up a Breeding Tank

I think my female guppy is pregnant so I am setting up a little 2 gallon for the babies and to isolate the female. I have the gravel, water, and a little plant. I'm debating whether or not to put a filter in because it will only be for a short time. If I end up not putting in a filter, do I need to let the tank cycle?

Thank you in advance,
Annie

Kim 01-04-2009 12:20 PM

If you don't have a filter you will have to do frequent 100% water changes because the tank will not cycle. This could prove to be very difficult because of the size of the fry. A power filter will be too powerful however, and is likely to suck up the babies. If I were you, I'd get a small sponge filter, let it run in the main tank until the mother is ready to give birth, then move it and the fish over. Instant cycle, and it's safe for the fry. Hope this helps.

chromiskid 01-04-2009 02:39 PM

Ok let me get this straight... The filter has to cycle not the water? So I run the small filter in my big tank and when I move my female guppy I move the filter, right? Oh and thank you!!:-)

Fishcricker 01-04-2009 05:51 PM

The good bacteria that you should already have in your current cycled tank, will grow on the sponge filter. Then when you transfer the sponge filter to the 2 gal tank, you will have an automatic cycle for the 2 gal. You could also move some of the water from the current tank.

NickJonasLover 01-04-2009 09:57 PM

i have a 10 gallon tank full go fancy guppys that breed all the time and once you get more fish breeding and more of a population you will begin to watch them grow but at the beginnning to get as many babys as you cann to survive you should take the pregnent fish and seperate them until they give birth

chromiskid 01-05-2009 06:39 PM

ok im going to get my filter tomorrow at petsmart. i was looking at one thats good for up to 10 gallons.. i think that will be good for the 2 gallon. i will make sure that it is a sponge filter. i will post some pics of it when i get it up and running. the male guppy is still umm "frisky" towards the female, so i think i will isolate her in a floating breeding tank to stick in.:-P

Kim 01-05-2009 06:51 PM

Haha, male guppies are ALWAYS like that! If you have more than 1 female it shouldn't stress her too much.

Tyyrlym 01-06-2009 07:45 AM

You'll need an airpump to drive the sponge filter. I haven't seen a sponge filter for sale at Petsmart. You'll probably have to buy one on-line.

Kim 01-06-2009 01:42 PM

I saw some at Petco the other day. I wouldn't get a huge air pump, just because you don't want a lot of surface agitation stressing the mother or sloshing aroung the babies. A small one should do fine. Good luck!

Tyyrlym 01-06-2009 01:47 PM

Huh, well that'd be nice. The only Petco near me is an aquatic hell and I refuse to spend money in their store.