Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Pregnat betta? or what? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/pregnat-betta-what-20090/)

JHK30 12-30-2008 11:25 PM

Pregnat betta? or what?

I got this betta from my cousin about uhm.. a little over a month ago and it was around a male and now its HUGE! whats wrong? is it sick or pregnat? and if it is prego I dont have betta fry eperience

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...tcow/betta.jpg

dramaqueen 12-30-2008 11:58 PM

She's probably full of eggs. Bettas don't get pregnant like guppies do. She'll probably drop the eggs when she's ready.She'll be ok unless she gets eggbound.

Cody 12-31-2008 12:10 AM

It would actually be gravid. Pregnant refers to livebearers whereas gravid refers to egg layers.

The only way for use to know if she is gravid is if she has a protruding egg spot in front of the anal fin. If so, she will probably release the eggs, but none will be fertile.

JHK30 12-31-2008 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody (Post 160446)
she will probably release the eggs, but none will be fertile.

If I get a male and put them together in a 10 gallon with TONS of real and fake plants and stones and rocks.. will he fertilize them? even if they haven't known each other for a while?

dramaqueen 12-31-2008 02:50 PM

You really shouldn't attempt to breed your fish unless you do a lot of research first. You need a breeding tank, food for the fry and lots of jars to put the babies in once they get big enough to be separated from each other. You can't just throw the male and female together and let nature take its course. Just because the female is full of eggs doesn't mean you should breed her. She'll release them eventually, but, as Cody said, they won't be fertile.

JHK30 12-31-2008 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dramaqueen (Post 160554)
You really shouldn't attempt to breed your fish unless you do a lot of research first. You need a breeding tank, food for the fry and lots of jars to put the babies in once they get big enough to be separated from each other. You can't just throw the male and female together and let nature take its course. Just because the female is full of eggs doesn't mean you should breed her. She'll release them eventually, but, as Cody said, they won't be fertile.

I have breed guppys, swordtails, platys, mollies, and other fish and I have lots of liquid fry food. and containers to put the babies in.

fishman09 12-31-2008 03:28 PM

josh, you dont need to sepertate the babys, sometimes the males will get a lil aggresive, but not usally, only when you seperate them, and put them back together, but i think she is definetly pregnant, when i get home we should put them together so my male will make his bubble nest, and then will plit the babys 50/50, do you want to???

fishman09 12-31-2008 03:31 PM

dramqueen, you never have to put them in seperate containers unless you sepertae them and want to put them back together, if they are always together they will never fight, sometimes they might get a little territorial, but thats it

JHK30 12-31-2008 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishman09 (Post 160563)
josh, you dont need to sepertate the babys, sometimes the males will get a lil aggresive, but not usally, only when you seperate them, and put them back together, but i think she is definetly pregnant, when i get home we should put them together so my male will make his bubble nest, and then will plit the babys 50/50, do you want to???

yea! can they be at my house? ;-)

fishman09 12-31-2008 03:32 PM

well i already know all the steps though, or your going to have to research it all, i have my ten gallon i can use to breed them in