Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/)
-   -   How many fish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/how-many-fish-20076/)

wake49 12-29-2008 08:37 PM

How many fish?

I just added a 15 gallon sump to my 46 gallon tank. I was wondering if this extra 15 gallons factors in the amount of fish I can keep. I have seven now: 6 line wrasse, two percula clowns, a hippo tang, a fire goby, a polaris goby and a bangaii cardinal. This is the maximum amount of fish I would like to keep, but before the sump, I felt like I had too many fish for 46 gallons.

I also have LPS corals and softies in the tank, along with snails, crabs and starfish. I am adding a peppermint shrimp and a cleaner this weekend.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

dallops_of_polyps 12-29-2008 10:19 PM

all the sump does is lowers the nitrates which can help if you had a lot of fish because the more filtration you have the more fish you can house BUT you already have a lot of fish in your tank i would just add another bengai because they hate to be alone.

dallops_of_polyps 12-29-2008 10:22 PM

missed this a hippo tang needs atleast 70 gallon WHAT ARE YOU THINKING jk lol:lol:....but seriously its too big

karaim 12-29-2008 10:54 PM

I second the Hippo Tang sentiment. Even 70 gallons is too small. Full size Tang needs a 6 foot tank.

rugie 12-29-2008 11:27 PM

wake, your total water column with sump would be 61 gal, for all practical reasoning your tank is 61 gal, however you do not have 61 gal of space in the main tank, this alone will limit your inhabatent capacity. better understocked than overstocked the animals will increase in size.

rugie 12-29-2008 11:35 PM

housing more fish because you have increased filtration is not sound reasoning. what do you do in a power outage, filter, powerhead breakdown, overheating in summer, automatic heater failure,resession of your bio's for any number of reasons, etc. be prudent, you will enjoy it more.

Cody 12-30-2008 12:12 AM

Agreed. What you are looking at as to bioload is the main tank, and that all depends on what you can put in it. Sure, you have 60 gallons of volume. But that is not equal to a 60G dispaly tank.

And the Hippo really needs to go soon. I wouldn't ever put one in a tank less than 125G.

The only "ok" time to add more fish than normal is if you have an all or mostly SPS system.

onefish2fish 12-30-2008 12:34 AM

im going to jump on the tang band wagon as it is to big for your tank and not to mention tangs carry a big bioload.

getting 2 more shrimp is only going to add to the bioload

same with the bangaii, but if you do buy a bangaii please buy tank raised ( or any fish you buy that you can get tank raised ) as they are being over harvested from their natural enviroments.

i personally would see if i could trade the hippo in at a LFS for store credit

wake49 12-30-2008 06:59 AM

HA! I have been trying to catch that tang for at least two months! It's been nothing short of impossible! If someone can catch him, please do. I would also like to get the fire goby out ot there. As soon as these guys see the net, they are off and hiding!!!

My question wasn't "Can I add Fish?", it was "Does adding a sump relieve some of the bioload?"

I understand that I am at my max with fish. I would like to add another invert or two for cleanup around the tank. Of course this wouldn't be possible unless I get rid of the tang, and possibly the fire goby...

onefish2fish 12-30-2008 07:09 AM

unfortunatly this usually means taking out some rock.

but dont loose all hope you could always put the net in the tank during feeding time and hopefully eventually get used to the net and think they are getting fed but the immidiate result would be removing some live rock