Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Another Albino Bristlenose question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/another-albino-bristlenose-question-20073/)

aunt kymmie 12-29-2008 04:05 PM

Another Albino Bristlenose question

I had posted pics prior of my albino bristlenose as I wanted to be sure he was indeed a bristlenose. The consensus based on the photos was that he was. Last night when feeding the tank I noticed that he came out and was chomping on a cichlid pellet. For some reason I thought that bristles were vegetarian. He has plenty of algae (:cry: ) to consume in this tank and readily takes to spinach so he's not lacking for a food source.

I also noticed that his rate of growth has been enormous. He went from being a one inch little guy to three inches in the space of two months. Is this a common growth rate for a bristle? My biggest concern is that he's actually a common pleco, and if so, I've made a big mistake by putting him in this particular tank. He has no bristles but from what I understand females may or may not develop bristles anyway.

Should I repost a pic for ID now that he's larger?? He's hard to photograph as he hides during the day.

Amphitrite 12-29-2008 04:08 PM

My bristlies will munch on anything, but the growth rate of yours surprises me. It would be helpful if you could post another picture and we'll have another look :-)

aunt kymmie 12-29-2008 04:19 PM

Okay, will do. If I'm lucky I can entice him out with a piece of spinach tonight....

daisycutter 12-29-2008 05:38 PM

bristlenose plecos will take whatevers going and pull double duty as a scavenger of uneaten food i have one with my puffers and he eats bloodworms,mysis,whiteworm and any other meaty foods with gusto

rugie 12-29-2008 05:48 PM

plecos are opportunistic feeders, some like the bristlenose lean toward a vegaterian diet. that is a nice growth rate for your pleco.the bristle is one of the smaller plecos but 5-6" is common.

aunt kymmie 12-30-2008 10:29 AM

I tried to get a photo of him last night but he was not being cooperative. I'm going to call my LFS today once they open. My guy should have a record of when I purchased him and maybe knowing what his actual growth rate was(is) we will be able to determine if he's a bristle or common??

wato 01-09-2009 09:14 AM

my ABN eat just about anything...

1077 01-09-2009 10:01 AM

I too received a couple long finned albino bristlenose maybe an inch or inch and a half long some time back. They are well over three inches now. Wish my white spot pleco grew as fast.

aunt kymmie 01-09-2009 10:08 AM

Do you recall exactly how long some time back is?? (Can you tell I'm a tad desperate about this issue?) I tried taking a picture of him last night (for the six night in a row!) but I just can't get it. I've been keeping the camera right next to the tank for an opportune moment. I think I see it, grab the camera and as soon as I hit the *on* button he zooms off. My LFS was no help in retrieving my date of purchase for this guy. They swear he's a BN but how can that account for the tremendous exponential growth rate? :shock:

wato 01-10-2009 08:14 PM

lol yeah ABN & BN does grow fast dont they? if my other plecos grow half of its speed...