Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Setting up a salt water tank for the first time (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/setting-up-salt-water-tank-first-20065/)

fishman09 12-29-2008 09:20 AM

Setting up a salt water tank for the first time

Not sure on all of the steps to set up a salt water aquarium just want to get other peoples point of veiw, Im planning on setting up inbetween a 75 to a 100 gallon aquarium,

fishman09 12-29-2008 09:26 AM

Guppy has barely any babys!!!

I have 5 adult guppys but the females only ever seem to have under 10 babys and they shoould be having 20 to 30 babay, i have had two batches in about 3 weeks, and one was a batch of six and the other was a batch 7, so im not sure if im doing something wrong

rugie 12-29-2008 01:55 PM

not to insult you but, for a novice to not be able to solve guppy questions I would say you are not ready for a salt tank esp such a large tank. the guppy litter is determined by several factors, the age of the fish, it's size, it's general health, the surroundings, ie; space, hiding places, security, is she eating some, is some other fish? eating some. what is the condittion of the sires? weak sperm is a huge factor. type of food & is she getting enough, (live food is excelent for pregnant females)( and for conditioning males. (such as micro worms, daphnia, rotofers, brine shrimp, and or once live frozen foods) And lastly stress, & stress is another can of worms, a topic unto it'self. Oh! by the way 2 batches in 3 weeks is a burden for the girls. a pregnancy each 4 to 6 weeks is acceptable.

cerianthus 12-29-2008 04:11 PM

If really serous about setting up S/W tank, do lots of research on livestocks and equipments . There are many different method of achieving successful S/W tank. I rather have you determine which way you want to go rather than buy as you go along. i do not want you to waste your hard earn money, not too mention the suffering of fishes due inadequate care. And of course stress that will bear down on you due to frustration. Fish keeping should be enjoyment, something that will make all the hardship that you went thru the day disappear when you are in front of the tank, not become a extra work after long day of work.
If going to invest in big set up. bigger the better since larger volume of water will prolong the stability of water compared to smaller aquarium. It does not mean you should neglect the tank. If so, what the point of fish keeping.

Read, read more and google and read more.Once have pretty good idea of s/w tank, you can start listening to other hobbyist. Then with knowledge you gain from reseach and opinions from others, you can make sound decisions BEFORE you even spend a dime.
There are so many products available on the market and no one lfs will carry all the available equipments. Every lfs will probably tell you different way since they willl try to sell what they carry. Can't blame them. I want to see you as educated consumer rather than impulse buyer.

Once the decision is made which way you want to go, add up total cost to set up S/W. Then add approx cost to obtain Livestocks and/or Live Rocks. On top of that add on approx cost to run and maintain the tank (Electric cost, space for all the equipments, cost of chilling in summer, etc)

Now comes the most difficult part, should I do it or not. Try not too cut corners as beginner. That will come later as you are more experienced and comfortable with what you do!!!
Good Luck!!!

fishman09 12-29-2008 08:39 PM

i know how to take care of fish i have had them for over seven years, i all i wanted to know was what you told, cause it doesent say that no where in the website's, i wouldnt go and set up a 600 dollar tank just to have everythng go wrong cause i dont know what i am doing.

cerianthus 12-30-2008 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishman09 (Post 160177)
i know how to take care of fish i have had them for over seven years, i all i wanted to know was what you told, cause it doesent say that no where in the website's, i wouldnt go and set up a 600 dollar tank just to have everythng go wrong cause i dont know what i am doing.

$600 for 75G s/w set up is a big understatement. Keep your mind and thoughts open. I've doing for over forty years and always open to new info and technics.
I don't think anyone here is trying to imply anything, but to assist you in achieving very successful s/w tank, be it FOWLR or Reef.

Cody 12-30-2008 03:42 PM

$600? I've probably spent close to that on my 10G reef so far. A 75G would take months and months of research and money saving.

fishman09 01-04-2009 12:07 AM

no, i went to the pet store, i went to the real pros,, asked the guy, and he gave me a price with fish included

JHK30 01-04-2009 08:49 AM

he probably gave you the price of the glass with a filter and 1 cheap fish.

your going to have a couple thousand put into a saltwater in a while. if you don't have the money to maintain it then I wouldnt do it. all that hard work for a salt water set up for a month or two.

Pasfur 01-04-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishman09 (Post 160883)
no, i went to the pet store, i went to the real pros,, asked the guy, and he gave me a price with fish included

I would hesitate to call the people at the pet stores the pros. There are really 4 types of people in this hobby. The novice, who feels somewhat overwhelmed. The sales folks at your LFS, who generally encourage the novice to do things they are not ready for. The experienced hobbyists, who come to these forums trying to prevent the sales folk from taking advantage of the novice. And finally you have the "real pros", who write the books and publish the articles.

Every trip I make to an LFS I overhear conversations and hear bad information being given. It is not the fault of the LFS, they have good intentions, but they usually do not have enough experience to realize the errors they are making. Keeping fish and corals over a period many years is generally beyond the experience level of your typical early 20 something year old "expert" at the pet shop. It just is what it is.