Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   are little bugs bad? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/little-bugs-bad-20033/)

FuzzAz 12-28-2008 03:38 AM

are little bugs bad?

I wanted to discuss bugs here, I was looking around in my aquarium an noticed some bugs hanging around. one appears to be a copepod, and the other is anematode. thats about as far an
I can classify them. They probably hitch hiked with my plants or possibly the driftwood. I was just curious whats the deal with these guys, are they harmful or beneficial? as long as they dont hurt anything I'm okay with just leaving them be. There are no fish in the tank now, nor has there been since I setup the tank. I am planning on adding fish though.

rugie 12-28-2008 03:04 PM

don't panic, once you get fish most likely the "bugs" will get eaten. it is wise to treat plants and in service wood prior to adding to your show tank. diversity is nice!

Kim 12-29-2008 09:17 AM

I don't know if they are a problem, but I don't like bugs so I'd get rid of them. Yuck...just don't ask me why I can watch surgery, dig a shard of glass out of someone's finger, and see all the gore in the world but am grossed out by bugs...

fishkid 12-29-2008 11:34 AM

They'll probably become fish food.

rugie 12-29-2008 12:49 PM

kim, in this case what is being asked about are not bugs, they are little shrimp like animals, it really is not a good practice to just kill what we think we do not like, especially when you say I don't know if they are a problem .I hope someone does not decide someday that they do not like you.

SinCrisis 01-03-2009 10:32 PM

ouch...

kyfishman 01-04-2009 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugie (Post 160075)
kim, in this case what is being asked about are not bugs, they are little shrimp like animals, it really is not a good practice to just kill what we think we do not like, especially when you say I don't know if they are a problem .I hope someone does not decide someday that they do not like you.

Shrimp, bugs, fish, dogs... whatever it is you can't compare them to a human. It is like saying an airplane is the same as a wheel.

Kim 01-04-2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugie (Post 160075)

Um...I never said to kill them :|. I said get rid of them. I don't kill things senselessly. Even though I don't like them I put spiders outside, and I don't kill bugs outside unless they are trying to bite me. If the OP doesn't want them in their aquarium, then they can stick them in a stream or pond. I just personally don't want things in my aquarium that could harm my fish or transmit disease to them if they are eaten.

I save worms off of my driveway after a rainstorm. So, please don't put words into my mouth before you even know me. Just because I say that I am grossed out by something does not mean that I am going to be rash and kill it straight away. I don't like some people I know and they are still here ;-).

And, even though I'm a hopeless animal lover (I want to be a veterinary surgeon) I do agree that it is not the same to kill a bug as to kill a person. Obviously, it is the way of nature that I will care about my myself, my family, and my friends more than other species. All animals do. You don't see the tiger starving to death itself because it doesn't want to kill the antelope. Unfortunately, the world is run by survival and that forces us to hold our own above others. Even within humans I certainly care more about say, my parents, than some stranger on the street.

Ok, enough with my rant, I just don't like being attacked for no reason and felt that I needed to make my point.

Fishcricker 01-04-2009 04:48 PM

The little bugs in your tank will no doubt be eaten by your fish when you get them. If they caught your attention they will catch the attention of a fish. that said, i would like to add that ITis NEVER a good idea to introduce things aout of our aquariums into the surrounding natural habitat. Bad unnatural things get started in this way. This is true of both fish life and plant life. That is why some states now have laws in effect about what can be bought and sold for our hobby. Every thing should be disposed of properly so there is NO CHANCE that it can reproduce.