Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   need suggestions for my sons loss! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/need-suggestions-my-sons-loss-200098/)

Agent13 06-07-2013 05:13 PM

need suggestions for my sons loss!

After about 3-4 year and living through our house burning down in '10 (yes the firefighters saved our pets...all of them! we weren't home) and changing tanks 3 times finally my sons ADF died yesterday. He was in a community 16g that my kids put together 4 glow danios and 3 guppies. lots of plants and a nice set up in general especially considiering the kids picked everything out. My daughter has a female ADF in there whic still is fine but my question is what should I give hime to replace his frog? I don't exactly want to do ore frogs because our fish sitter when we go on vacation has lots of trouble properly caring for them in the community tank. I am open to al types of things that would work in there. Blue tiger shrimp dwarf crayfish(is that too big for this? plus one of the guppies loves to sleep in the frogs food bowl on the bottom). Give me some oddball choices please! He's sad so I want to replace his frog with soething really neat.

side note- The frog wasn't sick. He was old and wasn't cared for very well prior to us. Just old age and maybe the fire contributed to shorter life span with the fumes, dust and sprinklers.

AbbeysDad 06-07-2013 07:49 PM

Give your son an extra hug from us. Abbey had a couple of frogs way back...a cricket or two got loose and drove me nearly nuts with night time chirping in the house!
I'm sorry I don't have much by way of replacement suggestions, but wonder if your son might want to choose his next pet? Shrimp might be interesting?

AD

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent13 (Post 2270122)
After about 3-4 year and living through our house burning down in '10 (yes the firefighters saved our pets...all of them! we weren't home) and changing tanks 3 times finally my sons ADF died yesterday. He was in a community 16g that my kids put together 4 glow danios and 3 guppies. lots of plants and a nice set up in general especially considiering the kids picked everything out. My daughter has a female ADF in there whic still is fine but my question is what should I give hime to replace his frog? I don't exactly want to do ore frogs because our fish sitter when we go on vacation has lots of trouble properly caring for them in the community tank. I am open to al types of things that would work in there. Blue tiger shrimp dwarf crayfish(is that too big for this? plus one of the guppies loves to sleep in the frogs food bowl on the bottom). Give me some oddball choices please! He's sad so I want to replace his frog with soething really neat.

side note- The frog wasn't sick. He was old and wasn't cared for very well prior to us. Just old age and maybe the fire contributed to shorter life span with the fumes, dust and sprinklers.

Agent13 06-07-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbeysDad (Post 2271082)
Give your son an extra hug from us. Abbey had a couple of frogs way back...a cricket or two got loose and drove me nearly nuts with night time chirping in the house!
I'm sorry I don't have much by way of replacement suggestions, but wonder if your son might want to choose his next pet? Shrimp might be interesting?

AD

thanks.. my son actually asked me to ask you guys for help. He is shockingly OK with the cycle of life and I know he is sad but he is OK.
I've heard about those issues. My sonhas a bearded dragon and she sometimes likes crickets(picky eater!) I order the double banded ones that don't make noise...yet I still hate them lol