Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Golden Snail Breeding ? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/golden-snail-breeding-19999/)

ilovecarljohn 12-26-2008 09:59 PM

Golden Snail Breeding ?

I bought a golden snail for my small tank today and the lady kept telling me that they will have babys even if you only have one... Is that true because my tank is to small to have an ruggrats crawing around...\

*edit*
also i here some fish will nip at them are gold fish good tank mates

ilovecarljohn 12-26-2008 10:53 PM

also i heard they can eat fish flakes vegies and tums but how do you go about feeding an aquarium snail tums

Lupin 12-26-2008 11:48 PM

Golden snail? How big is it? Which species are you talking about? Pomacea diffusa? Pomacea canaliculata? All snails under the family, Ampullaridae are sexual. Females have the ability to store sperm after a copulation with a male. Do you know the gender of your snail? If it is a female and has been kept with several other sexually matured snails, then it will lay clutches of eggs for months. The fertility diminishes as the clutches are laid on a later date. Be sure to give space above the waterline by about 2-3 inches and keep your tank closed or else you'll find the snail fall tothe floor and damage its shell which may even kill it.

The only fish I keep with all my snails are plecos, nothing else. I'm planning to get male guppies only to destroy the mosquito larva which has invaded one of my tanks. Apple snails will readily eat fish foods, veggies, calcium pills and plaster of Paris pucks. What is the pH of your tank? Make sure the pH is 8.0 and above to ensure healthy shell growth. Lower pH tends to erode the shells badly that they may be beyond repair. I simply drop Tums in my tank and the snails race for the pills. Get the flavored ones as the unflavored ones are ignored. Strawberry flavor seems to attract them best as they like anything sugary.

If you are interested, I also prepare snail jello for them. Search for one of my threads about it. Calcium pills are added there for them to ingest so the shells are kept healthy and glossy.

ilovecarljohn 12-27-2008 02:32 AM

i dont currently know the ph of my tank there were several snails in the tank black mystiry snails and golden snails is what they called them it is about the size of a quarter and the shell is a golen yellow. so i can just drop vggies or tums in the water for it will that do any thing to my goldfish?

Lupin 12-27-2008 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovecarljohn (Post 159550)
i dont currently know the ph of my tank there were several snails in the tank black mystiry snails and golden snails is what they called them it is about the size of a quarter and the shell is a golen yellow. so i can just drop vggies or tums in the water for it will that do any thing to my goldfish?

Please test your pH and hardness levels first. Without those, we will not be able to determine how best to provide a good environment for the snails. 'Black' mystery snails are not true blacks. They are either brown or dark green. If you look from different spectrums of light, there is no such thing as black at all. It is only dark green or brown and makes it appear black. This has intrigued me for awhile as well but I shined the light on the shell and the 'black' exhibited is actually a shade of green. This has been observed by a few other apple snail enthusiasts.

Don't mix the snails with your goldfish. It could work for most cases but I do not suggest doing this. They either harass the snails constantly or outcompete the snails for foods.