Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Ichs (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/ichs-19970/)

thenewguy86 12-26-2008 03:51 AM

Ichs

Hello,

I just found out my Columbous Catfish has icks and I am wondering what is the best medicine to use for this guy, since he is a skin fish. Also, any advice on the dosage and if any water changes are needed during teh cycle of ick treatment. Lastly, the ick medicine and brand and location of purchase will be greatly appreciated, since I will be heading out tomrow to buy the product

Please help =*(

Thank guys!

fishman09 12-31-2008 01:04 PM

no water changes are needed, just read the back of whatever you purchased, read the instructions and dosage,

aunt kymmie 12-31-2008 02:20 PM

I have cats & loaches. Scaleless fish should only receive 1/2 the required dose of meds. I used Kordons Rid-Ich and it can be purchased at Petco, Petsmart, LFS, etc.
You should do a water change prior to adding the meds, remove all carbon from the filters (if you are using carbon) and continue treatment for three days after the last visible white spot has been seen. You can also slowly adjust the heat of your tank up to 83 degress to hasten treatment. After treatment do another water change, replace the carbon in your filter (to remove medication residual) and slowly adjust the heat back down to normal temp, which for my tank is 78. It's what worked successfully for me.

catfishtabbi 12-31-2008 04:53 PM

i strongly reccommend KORDON ORGANICS & the sooner the better. I used it ,ti's safe for scaleless fish live rock... you can use this product for prevention. I used heat to hatch the eggs and treated for a week or so. I would suggest gravel vac'n if you can the eggs fall to the bottom thats why your cat got it first. You can get it at big Al's or petsmart.

Let me fix this up a bit,raising temp to 82 promotes ich eggs to hatch thus ich meets med head on, if not they live 3 days. the product i told you about is the safest for plants salt,api super tx KILL plants & most dont even say so.avoid formaldyhide or coppers(combo tx's), remove carbon do the water changes as directed then tx for prevention at least once.

thenewguy86 01-06-2009 01:55 AM

Thank you guys for the help! I have begun the treatment, hopefully it will turn out for the best.

jeaninel 01-06-2009 02:02 AM

You also might want to add extra aeration as the higher temps and meds tend to lower the oxygen content of your water.

thenewguy86 01-08-2009 01:53 AM

SOO I used Wardley's ick away sensitive... My friend recommended it to me and I looked at his fish tank, seems like he got rid of his ICKS. However, I been using this, but the icks r still there. It has almost been a week. I turned my temp up to 83. Added the Ick meds. Next day changed vac and changed %50 water. How long is this going to take? I am about to use the Wardley's ICK away the orginal, with malacite green, but using half dose to see if that work...

Tell me what you guys think.

THANKS!

aunt kymmie 01-08-2009 01:59 AM

Sometimes simple patience is required. It took 12 days of med treament until I finally achieved ich free status. I don't know anything about the meds you are using. I used Kordons Rid Ich at 1/2 the recommended dose. Stop me if I'm repeating myself; my memory isn't what it used to be :-) I have also read that you shouldn't combine medications. If I was going to switch meds I'd do a large water change, run the filter w/ some carbon for a day, them start the new meds. I "think" that's what would be appropriate...

thenewguy86 01-08-2009 11:58 PM

Sadly my columbian shark looks like its getting weaker.. =( I think its breathing its last breathes before he dies tomorrow

aunt kymmie 01-08-2009 11:59 PM

That is sad. Do you currently have meds in the tank?