Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   My Tank Has A LEAK! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/my-tank-has-leak-19966/)

MsFrosty 12-25-2008 07:58 PM

My Tank Has A LEAK!

I woke up christmas morning to find my ten gallon on the floor lost 3 inches of water in the night. The carpet was soaked but luckely the outlets were dry. Now my three mollies are in a 6 gallon bucket with the heater and the filter. I have aquarium sealant for sealing my tank for my hamster but I have no idea how to do it on an actual fish tank to make it usable. Should I try to find the leak and repair it or should I just buy a new tank?

onefish2fish 12-25-2008 09:46 PM

you can prob. find a free used 10 gal on www.craigslist.com in your area. if not they are fairly cheap new at petsmart or petco.

if your going to seal it use aquarium safe silicone.

Nudist 12-25-2008 09:55 PM

sorry to hear about your tank but with as long as it would take the silicone to cure i would go buy a new tank rather than leaving the fish in a bucket. thats just me though. then you could seal the old tank and have a spare just in case you needed it later.

Steve

MBilyeu 12-26-2008 12:32 AM

I have a question sort of on this topic. I bought some "aquarium safe sealant" a few weeks ago, and to me it didn't seem any different than normal silicone bathroom sealant which costs about half the price, and can fit into guns that I have making it so much easier to use. Is there a difference? If so, what do I need to make sure my normal sealant doesn't have in it?

onefish2fish 12-26-2008 07:15 AM

MB they make aquarium safe silicone in the size that fits into the "gun" there also is silicone that you can buy that would work. i believe it is 100% silicone. theres like type A and B or 1 and 2 or something. you want the stuff that doesnt have moldicides or whatever is added in. as for my on my salt tank, i just spent the few extra bucks ( i think it cost like $7 for a gun sized tube ) for building my sump. with a system so expenisve i didnt want to risk it on sealent.
hope that helps.

Kim 12-26-2008 08:04 AM

I looked at "aquarium sealant" and when you look at the ingredients it just says 100% silicone sealant. So, I then went to the hardware store and found just regular silicone sealant (one that does not say it stops mold or such) and checked those ingredients. It just said 100% silicone sealant so I bought it. The tube was about 10 times the size and cost the same price!

MsFrosty 12-26-2008 10:12 AM

I would have gone and bought a tank yesterday but it was christmas, nothing open. Today I am heading in early to get one from wlmart for like 50$

WisFish 12-26-2008 11:56 AM

When my 55gal tank had a leak from a stand that didn't properly support it, I just used 100% silicone from the local harware store. Never had a problem with it.

MBilyeu 12-26-2008 06:27 PM

Thank you. I was wondering because I was sure that the stuff they sell at the pet stores were just marked up because it says "aquarium". I am much happier only spending $3 for a 10.7 oz tube at a hardware store, than $9 for 3oz at the pet store.

Oldman47 12-27-2008 12:50 PM

The stuff at the aquarium store is marked up a crazy amount but you need to make sure you do not buy sealant that says it is mold and mildew resistant. That stuff has mildewcides in it and is not good to use in a fish tank.