Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Plants slowly dieing. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/plants-slowly-dieing-199410/)

Stoke88 06-06-2013 04:38 PM

Plants slowly dieing.

I think I may have screwed up on this one. I read somewhere that putting small bits of clay into the bottom of the substrate will help the plants grow much better. Essentially clay is dirt so I thought " Yeah that sounds like it should work." Well I don't think so anymore. Since then all my plants have been slowly deteriorating. Everything but my anubias nana that is. I'm about to tear it down and start over because its just pitiful to say the least. But before I do does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do? I tried to dig out the clay but its mush and just clouds the tank. Any help is appreciated.

SeaHorse 06-06-2013 04:49 PM

Before you make any changes and while you are waiting for someone with "clay" experience.... what size tank? what light bulbs and time are they on? and what fertilizers are you using and when? Maybe it's not the clay.

rexpepper651 06-06-2013 04:56 PM

yeah what lights, ferts n substrate?

Stoke88 06-06-2013 05:00 PM

Its a 75g with Aqueon T5 NO fixture with one 6500K daytime and one 6700K colormax on for 8hrs a day. I use Flourish comprehensive twice weekly and I have playsand for substrate. Nothing above has changed since the initial setup less than a year ago.

Byron 06-07-2013 12:33 PM

Well, I don't see any problem with the light, nor the fertilizers. I'd be a bit surprised that adding balls of clay would do this so fast, but depending what the "clay" is, it is possible. Were the plants doing fine previously, and for a time (few months)? If yes, this would certainly tend to point at the problem being this clay. Can you tell us more about this product; perhaps a link to a website?

Byron.

Stoke88 06-10-2013 08:03 PM

Sorry for the delay in response everyone. I had a crazy weekend. Anyways to answer your qestions Byron, yes, everything was doing great prior to the clay being added. The clay is Amaco Mexican red clay. I've included a link at the bottom. Any further help is appreciated. Thanks.

Amaco Mexican Self-Hardening Clay, 5 Pounds, Red | StaplesŪ

Byron 06-10-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoke88 (Post 2293041)
Sorry for the delay in response everyone. I had a crazy weekend. Anyways to answer your qestions Byron, yes, everything was doing great prior to the clay being added. The clay is Amaco Mexican red clay. I've included a link at the bottom. Any further help is appreciated. Thanks.

Amaco Mexican Self-Hardening Clay, 5 Pounds, Red | StaplesŪ

The link didn't work, but I searched online and found out a bit. This is modelling clay, not plant nutrient clay. It is meant to be used to model something and it hardens; under water it might leech who knows what. The fact that the plants demise began when this clay was added is suggestive.

Stoke88 06-10-2013 08:19 PM

So a tear down is a must at this point correct?

Byron 06-10-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoke88 (Post 2293177)
So a tear down is a must at this point correct?

I probably would. Removing the lumps of clay might be sufficient, but if they have been leeching something then this something could be throughout the substrate. Toxins have a way of getting stuck on surfaces.

Stoke88 06-10-2013 08:35 PM

I'll just replace the $10 in sand. I'd rather do that then lose $100 in fish. Thanks Bryon.