Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Photoperiod idea (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-aquarium-equipment/photoperiod-idea-19922/)

ajmckay 12-23-2008 02:26 AM

Photoperiod idea

Hello all,

So today I got a new light! Since my saltwater hobby has been more expensive than I had initially planned I have been scouring ebay for deals. Last week I won a new seaclone 100 protein skimmer (not the CPR I was hoping for, but from what I've read, the seaclone is actually a great unit). I should get that tomorrow.

The other thing I won was a PFO 250 watt HQI metal halide with a Hamilton 14K bulb. Here's my idea... My current photo period is from 9:00am until 11:00pm with a Coral Life aqualight with 1 10K and 1 actinic. Now I plan on running both, but as this is winter I'm trying to conserve energy somewhat.

I'm thinking I will turn on the aqualight at 9am, like normal, I'll run that until 4 and then I will turn off the aqualight and turn on the metal halide for about 6 hours until 10:00, then the aqualight again until 11. Note that all those times would include a 30 minute overlap.

Q1) Is 6 hours sufficient time for the metal halide to be on? I currently have some zoas, kenyas, blastos, GSP, and green monti-cap, but I want some more LPS corals like a frogspawn soon.

Q2) What suggestions/adjustments would you suggest I make to this schedule?

Q3) Do you think it would be better to leave the aqualight as 50/50 or should I replace the 10K daylight with another actinic?

Thanks all for your input!
(Also, with regard to the acclimation, I will use the screen method and start with 3 layers or so of screen and each week I will take away 1 layer.)

onefish2fish 12-23-2008 02:41 AM

i think 6 hours is plenty. i would also cut back on the light time of the other unit if possible, your running your lights 14 hours a day! i suggest 8-12 hours a day. figure the sun at the equator is 12 hours daily so i personally would not exceed this in my tank.

i think i saw your tank but im not sure, do you have a tank thread?

Cody 12-23-2008 11:57 AM

I agree with cutting back on the regular light. I, personally, do not recommend having your lights on for more than 10 hours, if not 12.

And if it was up to me, I would do this (I will just base it off a 12 hour schedule; you can switch the times)

9AM- Aqualight On
10AM- Halide On
8PM- Halide Off
9PM- Aqualight Off

And about your skimmer... I guess it either works great or sucks. From everything I have read and seen, people say it is one of the worst on the market for their needs. I will want to know how yours turns out. :-)

Kellsindell 12-24-2008 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody (Post 158986)
I agree with cutting back on the regular light. I, personally, do not recommend having your lights on for more than 10 hours, if not 12.

And if it was up to me, I would do this (I will just base it off a 12 hour schedule; you can switch the times)

9AM- Aqualight On
10AM- Halide On
8PM- Halide Off
9PM- Aqualight Off

And about your skimmer... I guess it either works great or sucks. From everything I have read and seen, people say it is one of the worst on the market for their needs. I will want to know how yours turns out. :-)

Congrats on the score with the lighting.
Couldn't have said it better myself. It'll give you a nice Dawn and Dusk effect.

The skimmer... sorry mate i agree with cody, but there are many mods that'll improve it... i just don't know what that means for it though... gl

ajmckay 12-29-2008 03:15 PM

Thanks for your ideas. I've decided switch to a 12 hour photoperiod just like what cody suggested. I think I might also check ebay for some decent moonlights. Does anyone have any suggestions on which to buy? Or if I take the DIY approach, how many LED's would you suggest for a 29 gallon?

Kellsindell 12-29-2008 06:23 PM

If you are wanting a DIY LED lighting you can check my thread. i did one with 3 white LED's for moon lights. i love it.

http://www.fishforum.com/saltwater-f...-19093/page11/

it's closer to the end of the page.

rugie 12-29-2008 07:02 PM

aj, hello. please fish around for more info and reccomendations on your lighting revisions. that halide is an overkill for a 29 gal, even if you run it for short periods it will blow away your symbiotic algaes and you will end up with damaged corals. your flourescent set up seems adaquate. 8 hrs of artificial lighting should be sufficent.

ajmckay 12-29-2008 07:19 PM

Rugie,

Thanks for your input. I would like to hear more about this thought that 250watt MH might be too much. I don't have a ton of resources other than the internet, but I will do a search for what people have had success with on 29 gallon systems.

What would you say about a 150 or 175 watt? I was going to go with one of those at first. Either way I definitely do need additional lighting as I want to keep some corals slightly more demanding than mushrooms.. My current lighting is only 36 watts.

Cody 12-29-2008 08:56 PM

A 150W would be fine IMO. Easily can care for LPS and maybe some easy SPS like Monti Caps and Birdsnest if placed high enough with enough flow.

ajmckay 12-30-2008 08:13 PM

Cody, thanks for your input. As mentioned before, however, I already have a 250 watt system, what do you think about that lighting system on my 29 gallon? Is it too much, or just enough?