Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Unusual Aquarium Inhabitants (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/unusual-aquarium-inhabitants-19905/)

Highland lake13 12-21-2008 10:55 PM

Unusual Aquarium Inhabitants

On this site i haven't heard of many unusual fish, inverts, or plants. Now i know there are people out there with unusual things in his/her tank. So i'll start and then poeple chime in.

It all started about a year and a half ago when i had a thriving community tank and then it all fell apart. I'll spare the details but it ended ugly with most of the fish dieing and others finding new homes:evil:. So i had an empty tank and had no idea waht to do with it. Near the end of the cycle i went fly fishing with a friend on a pond on his property. We both were talking when i caught a small-mouth bass fry, only about an 1" long. So he and i thought it was a cool idea to take it home for the tank and now i have 3 small-mouth bass and 4 golden shiners, and 5 natural crawfish, with a buch of small bugs and cool drift wood. i am talking to the fish and game department and they may allow me to raise brook trout, rainbow trout (like the one in my avatar) and/or atlantic salmon :-D. Trying to post pics but continue the thread.

~Cam

iamntbatman 12-21-2008 11:34 PM

I've mentioned it in other threads before, but some day I'd really like to start a big tank with locally caught fish (I'm from Maryland). I think it would be really cool, and you never see local fish in fish tanks. Plus, I just like the analogues we have in the area to other common fish. For example, sunfish are really similar to the South American cichlids in many ways.

Cody 12-22-2008 12:35 AM

Great idea. You would need a very large tank to do so I would think.

I have always wondered about it too. Being in Colorado and having plenty of lakes and rivers, we have many species of trout and others. I have actually gone Fly Fishing before and caught a 6lb trout... nothing compared to what the pros catch, but it is my record. :-)

dramaqueen 12-22-2008 09:33 AM

We used to go fishing at Estes Park when I lived in Longmont, Colorado. I loved going fishing up there.

Highland lake13 12-22-2008 10:11 AM

When i was talking to the fish and game department in Mass they said the size of the tank wasn't a huge deal. It is actually the current that is important. You can raise salmon/trout/bass/sunfish or any minnow in a 30g or bigger you just need a lot of current even if the fish didn't come from a stream or river they need to be able to be constantly swimming even if it is in place. So you really need a powerhead or two for the fish really to thrive.

iamntbatman 12-22-2008 06:10 PM

I wasn't going to do anything too large. Just a school of minnows, maybe some darters for the bottom, some bluegills and possibly some banded killifish. I think it would definitely be possible in something like a 55g, since the largest fish there are the bluegills and in the wild they only get to about 8".

daisycutter 12-23-2008 12:12 AM

most of the fish that occor locally to me are tankbusters(very big carp,eels and pike) i keep a small tank by with water louse and scuds(gammurus) as food i suppose they could count as unusal inverts
theres a local controled river/drainage system that contains small fish possibly minows or larger fish fry and more unusaly big leeches 6-7 inch long ones thogh i doubt leeches could be kept in an aqarium down to there feeding reqirements

Lupin 12-23-2008 03:04 AM

Would you consider my collection of snails and loaches an unusual combination?:lol:

1077 12-23-2008 03:34 AM

I am not sure how unusual they are but i have some threadfin rainbows that I find quite interesting. I have six males and four females in 80 gal with five discus. Thus far the discus largely ignore their antics.

Lupin 12-23-2008 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 158934)
I am not sure how unusual they are but i have some threadfin rainbows that I find quite interesting. I have six males and four females in 80 gal with five discus. Thus far the discus largely ignore their antics.

Discus will not bother them. I had combined both before with no issues.