Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Quarantine/breeding tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/quarantine-breeding-tank-19893/)

MBilyeu 12-21-2008 05:18 PM

Quarantine/breeding tank?

Yesterday I went to my parents house and was digging through some old stuff and came across two tanks that I used to have in Jr High. One is a ten gallon that I will be turning into a betta tank after the holidays(I have to purchase a filter/heater/partitions), but the other one is a three gallon that I had some questions on. I have a working Aquaclear mini HOB filter and profile non-submersible heater that I found for it. To use it for a QT what media do I need in the filter? Right now it just has a sponge. Also I was thinking of not putting any substrate or decor in it, so would I still need to cycle the tank and get bacteria to grow in the sponge? Or would I just need to do daily water changes when I had fish in it? It is an ugly tank, so I wont be putting it on display anywhere. My other thought is to use it as a breeding tank for a single female guppy when not in use a QT. The plan would be that once I have fry I could keep less than half in the 3 gallon, and a little more than half in a segment of my soon to be betta tank til they were of size to give away. The point of me breeding is to keep the best looking ones for my 30 gallon.

So what am I missing? Is this possible? All input is always appreciated! Thank you in advance.

MBilyeu 12-21-2008 09:26 PM

Ok, I just set the 3 gallon up. I will hopefully be able to run to the store tonight to get a shrimp to put in it for the cycle. I will try and run to the lfs tomorrow for a thermometer. Is there any media that I will need to pick up?

iamntbatman 12-21-2008 10:20 PM

I'm not familiar with that particular filter, but as long as it's got some sort of sponge material in it you should be fine. Maybe a bit of filter floss would be helpful. You could just run the filter on your established tank and leave it there. Whenever you need to QT a fish, just move the filter to the 3g and presto, you've got a cycled QT tank.

MBilyeu 12-21-2008 11:05 PM

Ok, thank you. I am already cycling it with shrimp, and I think I will keep it that way. Then when I am not introducing a new fish into my community tank I will use the tank for breeding guppies. My plan is to keep a female guppy in the betta tank that I will set up soon, and just move her to 3 gallon to impregnate her and move her back to the 10 gallon once she gives birth. I looked it up, and the tank should be big enough for one females fry for at least four to six weeks, then I will be able to split them up into the two bigger tanks until I can give them away. Hopefully I wont be overrun if she give birth three times from one mating session:shock:

iamntbatman 12-21-2008 11:15 PM

That sounds like it would work, but keep in mind that you'd probably have to move the male from the 3g into the 10g with the female whenever you actually need to QT something in the 3g. 3g should be plenty for a single male guppy.

Also, if you do get overrun with fry, you could always net some out and put them on the other side of the divider with the betta. Sounds cruel, but ending their lives quickly is better than having so many of them you can't maintain water quality.

MBilyeu 12-22-2008 02:31 AM

I am glad that will work. My plan is to keep the males in the 30 gallon community tank and just put one in the 10 gallon with the female until they mate. Then the male will go back into the 30 gallon, and the female will go into the 3 gallon until she gives birth, so the fry can be raised in the 3 gallon for the first few weeks until I pick which males will go into the 30 gallon, and which I will give away. The thing that isn't the best in the whole situation is putting one male with one female, but I feel like I have no other option because I can't risk having two or three females pregnant...

iamntbatman 12-22-2008 03:05 AM

Leaving them together for even 24 hours shouldn't be enough to stress her to the point of getting sick, and any male guppy that doesn't manage to get a female pregnant within that amount of time probably isn't your best breeding stock anyway.

MBilyeu 12-22-2008 02:26 PM

Good to know, thank you!