Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Mollies harassed my Betta! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/mollies-harassed-my-betta-198834/)

Allison 06-05-2013 11:19 PM

Mollies harassed my Betta!

Fair warning, I am a noob at actual tanks. A bowl I can do, that's easy. Add a heater and replace the water weekly. Tadaaa happy heathy betta. Tanks are new for me, and seem to have more to worry about.

Firstly, I've put together a 14 gallon tank with plants, and moved in my male halfmoon betta. I got a bamboo shrimp who's pretty happy there, and likes to chill by the filter.

Then I got 3 mollies (a silver and a dalmatian who were in the same tank and a mickey mouse molly). They are very energetic fish, and little piggies, but my betta was happy to leave them be. However I noticed the mickey mouse molly (mmm for the sake of saving time) was always around him and getting in his space, and my husband noted the mmm was nipping at the bamboo shrimp's tail.

I added three ghost shrimp, and after everyone settled down (and I separated the shrimp I noticed had eggs) i noticed some little orange spots on my betta where it was like a scale had been nipped off, and there was a bit of tattering on his tail. Betta was also getting reclusive, though active, and was not eating. I actually saw him take food then spit it out, and in a bowl he always devoured his food. I gave him the same hikari betta food in the tank as I did in the bowl.

So I've moved my betta back into a bowl even though it was for his sake that I set up the community tank. I think I am going to return the mmm to petsmart, but I am unsure if I should return the silver and dalmatian as well as I'm not sure if it was only the mmm or all three of them getting up the betta's space and nipping him. I know the silver and dalmatian chase each other around a lot.

What do you think? If I return all three I guess I will try platy or tetra unless someone has a better suggestion. Any ideas? Are mollies often little buttheads?

fish monger 06-06-2013 05:23 AM

There are members who have success with bettas in a community. My "personal experience" has been that either the betta or the tank mates suffer. It seems that bettas, especially, have widely varied personalities. If you intend to try the community set up again, I would suggest that you stay away from tetras. They might find those long, flowing fins irresistible. Some of the successful combinations that I've heard about involved harlequin rasbora, shrimp, and African Dwarf Frogs. That is no guarantee that they will work for your situation. When I introduced my betta to a community tank containing mostly platys and a pair of ADF a while ago, the betta chased the other fish relentlessly. When I noticed him pecking at my relatively defenseless frogs, he went back on his own. The betta forum will no doubt offer better advice than I have.

jaysee 06-06-2013 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allison (Post 2254610)
Fair warning, I am a noob at actual tanks. A bowl I can do, that's easy. Add a heater and replace the water weekly. Tadaaa happy heathy betta. Tanks are new for me, and seem to have more to worry about.

What do you think? If I return all three I guess I will try platy or tetra unless someone has a better suggestion. Any ideas? Are mollies often little buttheads?

It's the same thing for a tank, only it's way easier.

The problem is your choice of stock. Mollies need a much bigger tank and are not a good choice to go with a betta. I would return all of them, and see about getting a group of SMALL peaceful fish, like tetras or rasboras. That's what's worked for me.

Quote:

The betta forum will no doubt offer better advice than I have
Hahaha :-)

jentralala 06-06-2013 11:02 AM

I'd go with Harlequin Rasboras, a school of around 8. They are sedate, peaceful fish who won't attack another species, or even their own. They won't be tempted to nip like some tetras. Platies/Mollies/Guppies can be very dangerous choices just because of how boisterous they can be compared to the sedate betta. Their bright colors can also spark aggression.

It will always be trial and error, with a betta fish.

EDIT: Mollies and Platies can also get quite large, which most people don't know. I've seen a molly that was pushing 5 inches. Rasboras will stay small and peaceful their entire life.

Does your tank have live plants?

Allison 06-06-2013 03:46 PM

It does, I have two pieces of "bamboo", six "amazon spearhead" and a broadleaf as well as a Marimo moss. I'm about to take the mollies back right now, they ate part of the tail fin off my bamboo shrimp, and he molted yesterday. I hope for his sake it grows back :(

Edit: also 3 plastic plants for color.

Sent from Petguide.com App

Allison 06-06-2013 04:20 PM

Ok I'm identifying my plants looking at the store lol it's anubias and swords, I can't remember exactly what the packages said, they came in those tubes planted in gel.

Allison 06-10-2013 01:50 PM

Btw I did take y'all's advice and get a school of harlequin rasbora, love these little guys! Very peaceful (though on occasion on charges the cup my shrimp eggs are growing and and gets confused by the force field...) I'm going to wait a little longer before reintroducing my betta to the community, his bite marks are still healing.