Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Peat / Ph ? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/peat-ph-19862/)

catfishtabbi 12-19-2008 05:53 PM

Peat / Ph ?

hi, i have 10 minutes to spare. can anyone explain how peat will affect my ph? My tap water si hard, tank
ph-6.8, total H-125-150, no2-.5, no3- 10-15 time for water change.
Thanks;-)

iamntbatman 12-21-2008 08:31 PM

If your water is that hard, peat may have little to no observable effect on the pH of your water. Peat puts acid into your water, which generally lowers the pH. However, hard water acts as a pH buffer, which prevents pH changes.

SinCrisis 12-21-2008 09:32 PM

i have a 8.4 ph with the same question. My water is very soft, how would adding fluval peat granules drop my ph?

iamntbatman 12-21-2008 09:58 PM

I'll try to answer with out nerding out too much:

Basically, acids in your water mean you have an excess of hydrogen ions floating around. So, adding peat puts these ions into the water. However, hard water means you've got a lot of stuff like carbonate ions floating around. When you add the acid (from the peat) the hydrogen ions react with the carbonate and come out of solution. Thus, when you've got lots of carbonate present, whatever acid you add to the water is going to just get "used up" by the carbonate and won't help in making your water more acidic (i.e. lowering pH).

However, if you've got soft water, there's nothing there to "use up" the acid you're putting in the tank by using peat. So, if your water is suitably soft, adding peat can effectively lower your pH.

SinCrisis 12-22-2008 12:17 AM

sweet, ive been looking for a proper solution for a while but after 3 pieces of driftwood, i never got the tannin effect for some reason. O.o maybe this will finally do the trick. Thx

Tyyrlym 12-23-2008 08:52 AM

I have hard water. My betta tank has a huge piece of driftwood in it for the size of the tank. My pH hasn't even hiccuped.

1077 12-23-2008 09:35 AM

As I understand it the tannic acids released by peat and driftwood are relatively weak acids which combined with hard water do little to affect the ph. Add to that the weekly water changes and less than desired results are realized. Many folks use nearly 50/50 mix of distilled(cheaper) or RO tapwater mix to achieve lower ph values. They store this mixture in large or small tubs depending on the amount needed for water changes.

Oldman47 12-23-2008 03:08 PM

CatfishTabbi, a total hardness of 125 is not hard, it is soft. In german degrees it is only about 7 degrees. You do not say what your KH is but KH is the thing that acids interact with so there is no telling how hard it would be to move your pH. KH is the buffering that IAmNtBatman was talking about so we really don't know. The tank pH being 6.8 leads me to guess that your KH is even lower than the GH of 7. Your present tank parameters, other than nitrites, look like the type of readings you would want for typical South American fish. The nitrite readings say that you are not cycled yet and if you have fish in the tank you need to do at least one 50% water change to get nitrites under control temporarily. Peat will drive your pH even lower so I would avoid it right now as the low pH will make it even harder to get your tank properly cycled. .

iamntbatman 12-23-2008 03:52 PM

Wait...let's clear things up. What test kit/units are you using to measure hardness?