Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Tropical Fish Food (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/tropical-fish-food-198570/)

Neil D 06-05-2013 06:25 PM

Tropical Fish Food

Hey all,

Seeing as I will be getting my new fish this Friday, I think it's high time to consider food. I plan on cardinal tetras and tentatively thinking pearl gourami. I already have frozen bloodworms as well as freeze dried blood worms (to spoil my bettas). What types of staple pellet foods do you all recommend?

Thanks in advance!

jentralala 06-05-2013 06:30 PM

New Life Spectrum, Regular formula for your Gourami, and Small Fish formula for your cardinals. They could probably eat the regular formula, if cost is an issue.

Omega One also has good quality food that's a bit cheaper than NLS.

Neil D 06-05-2013 06:58 PM

Thanks for the options! :)

jaysee 06-05-2013 07:04 PM

NLS thera A. It's been 4 years since my fish have eaten anything else. The 1 mm size will be fine, but if you wanted to get the 0.5 mm you could feed both. That's what I do in the 125 - feed both 2 mm for the larger fish and 1 mm for the smaller.

Neil D 06-05-2013 07:07 PM

PetCo carries NLS Thera A. I think I'll go with that.

Are gourami and tetras good with frozen BW too?

jaysee 06-05-2013 07:30 PM

My fish eat the Thera A like they are blood worms - splashing water out of the tank they hit the surface so hard. Can you still feed them frozen foods? Sure, if you want to.

AbbeysDad 06-05-2013 07:32 PM

A lot of fish foods have the primary ingredient of fishmeal. For some, the primary ingredient is wheat! Not all fishmeal is created equally. Some is the waste product of fish processing plants and/or is the 'off grade' fish that could not be used for human consumption. Fishmeal is typically ground, dried, loaded with preservative and sits in a warehouse until an order comes from a fish food manufacturer. Because it is dried, fishmeal then requires copious amounts of starch (often wheat, oat, rice flour or gluten) as a binder and filler to increase the crude protein analysis.

The very best fish foods are made from fresh whole fish and kelp. Omega One (there are others) is one of these as they use whole Atlantic salmon, cod, herring...as the main ingredients. NLS is a close second as they use fishmeal, but it's fishmeal from whole herring and krill.

Buyer beware. Read the labels.

Note: when I switched to fish foods with less wheat binder/filler, my fish produce far less waste and are more vigorous with better coloring. I suspect more healthy as well.

Neil D 06-05-2013 07:50 PM

That was very informative, thanks! I'll definitely look into Omega then. Thanks again!

Sanguinefox 06-05-2013 11:10 PM

Blood worms are something a lot of fish absolutely adorable. Do be careful with it though because on smaller fish and bettas, it is very easy for them to gorge. Once they do they can literally kill themselves because they can't pass what they ate.

fish monger 06-06-2013 06:00 AM

You can't go wrong with the advice already given. I use various food textures in my tanks...Omega flakes for top and middle feeders, NLS pellets for bottom and universal feeders, and Omega veggie rounds in tanks with fish that require more vegetable matter. As Sanguinefox stated, do be careful with the bloodworms and other frozen foods. It's hard to beat the nutritional value of the quality staple foods out there today. I use the frozen foods as a very occasional treat.