Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ponds and Waterfalls (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ponds-waterfalls/)
-   -   Can an old swimming pool be turned into a fish pond? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ponds-waterfalls/can-old-swimming-pool-turned-into-19856/)

WaYA 12-19-2008 10:59 AM

Can an old swimming pool be turned into a fish pond?

I have an old swimming pool that has been taken down. I was thinking about cutting it down to make a larger garden pond out of. It's a 4x15 pool, I was thinking may be a 2x15 pond. Is that to small?
Could I use the swimming pool pump and filter on the pond or would it not keep the water right for the fish?

Have a good one,
Becky

Twistersmom 12-19-2008 05:48 PM

I don't know much about outdoor ponds, but I think you would have to keep about 3 or 4 feet underground level to keep water cool enough during summer, and deep enough to not freeze through in summer. Hopefully someone that knows more than me will post!

WaYA 12-19-2008 11:54 PM

The pool I have up still is above ground. It's always cool in the summer. It stays up year round and has never froze in the winter. It gets an ice cover over the top of it. But by noon it's melted. What I need to know is there anything that the pool liners is made out of that would harm the fish?

onefish2fish 12-20-2008 07:12 AM

im unsure, but chlorine may have leeched in and will slowly release.

WaYA 12-20-2008 08:04 AM

Ok, If I turn the liner wrong side out is the chlorine still going to be there?
I have an in ground pond but the water snakes decided to have lunch there last spring. So I thought I would do another pond above ground. Where I live it doesn't freeze bad in the winter, besides I can always bring the fish in iif I have to.

finsNfur 12-20-2008 11:43 AM

I'm not sure about the answer to your pool to pond question, but I can tell you snakes might still get in your pond even above ground. I've known people with above ground pools to get snakes in them. Eeek!

WaYA 12-20-2008 04:45 PM

It will be harder for a snake to get into above ground tho.

Cody 12-20-2008 07:33 PM

But it can still happen.

I would not try to make a pond out of a pool that has been already used, and with chlorine. Just to be safe.

WaYA 12-20-2008 09:09 PM

The pond has been down a couple of years. So all the choline should be washed out of it. I think I'll put it up then test it, if it shows up anything. I'll make a big fountain out of it with rocks and all kinds of plants around it. Then maybe the snaes will stay out of my pond.

Nudist 12-20-2008 09:17 PM

i dont know if it really works or not but i have always heard if you put moth balls around, snakes will stay away. its worth a try anyway.

Steve