Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   55 gallon congo biotope stocking (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/55-gallon-congo-biotope-stocking-198546/)

allaboutfish 06-05-2013 06:02 PM

55 gallon congo biotope stocking

So far what I have in this 55 is
3-minnows(the kind from a bait shop I think they're shiners)
2-Congo*tetras*( I want to move this up to 6 even thought the school with the minnow)
1-female cutter I cichlid (male was too mean so was moved out)
1-Senegal bichir
As a final stocking I was thinking
3- minnows
6- Congo tetras
1- female cutteri cichlid
1-Senegal bichr
1-leopard ctenopoma
1-african butterfly fish
I have a tetra 30-60 and*aqua clear*70 for filters.
I plan to have a lot of*driftwood*rocks and leaf litter at the bottom. The only plants will be lillies and anubius. I'm going for a loose Congo biotope.
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 06-05-2013 06:28 PM

I've had my african setup going for about 4 years now. Congo tetras, ctenopoma, butterfly, bichir, plus an african knife and a featherfin catfish. They started in a 55 but outgrew that, so I upgraded to a 75 which was better. The extra width is important. Now its a 90 gallon.

allaboutfish 06-05-2013 06:51 PM

I will probably upgrade to a 75 soon. I don't like the 12in widths they're so hard to aquascape. Will this stocking work in the 55 though?
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 06-05-2013 06:58 PM

Assuming the cichlid is not a problem (dont know about them), it will be fine for a while - a year, maybe 2 if they're all small.

allaboutfish 06-05-2013 07:02 PM

What would be problems in the future? (Cichlid is very peaceful)
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 06-05-2013 07:19 PM

The congos not having enough room to chase and escape. Once they get big they will need that 50% larger footprint. They started really beating each other up in the 55 - stopped instantly in the 75. Not that they didn't display and show anymore, but they had more room to maneuver.

The ctenopoma getting aggressive with other fish in the tank. It grows into a large and powerful fish that needs space. I know profiles say they are supposed to be shy and all, but I have raised 2 from the size of the end of my finger, to 4 inches (not full grown), and both were quite aggressive - first one so much so that I gave it away and started over with a new one.

You'll know when it's time.... you'll start to get a sense of unrest when looking at the tank. You'll start to feel the angst in the tank. At least that's how I determined it was time to upgrade. The only reason I moved them to the 90 was because I sold the 75 to make room for the new 125.

allaboutfish 06-05-2013 07:29 PM

OK thanks!!
Posted via Mobile Device

allaboutfish 06-07-2013 10:45 PM

Could I keep a delhezi too since I'm upgrading or would the Senegal and delhezi fight?
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 06-07-2013 10:50 PM

They both have similar size potential. As long as one isn't significantly bigger than the other, it should be fine.

allaboutfish 06-07-2013 10:53 PM

OK thanks so much for your help jaysee!
Posted via Mobile Device