Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   55 gallon African cichlid tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/55-gallon-african-cichlid-tank-19847/)

conger 12-19-2008 12:02 AM

55 gallon African cichlid tank

5 Attachment(s)
Hi all, this is one of my two freshwaters, set up to be an AC tank. It's been up and running for about 5 months, though I only have two inhabitants.
I've got two AquaClear 110's working on it, with sponge and carbon (no ceramic rings). I built a DIY background around the back and sides, so it's like a 3-D rock wall.

Attachment 406

I've only got two inhabitants for far, a Julidochromis, and another unknown (unreliable LFS mis-labeles a bunch of their tanks :redmad:.
I'd really like to get more though, but I need to know what I have to be sure I get compatible tank mates.
These two get along just fine... once in a while the Julie will snap at the other, but they co-exist fairly peacefully considering that they are cichlids!

The Julie:
Attachment 410

And the unknown (anyone have any clue what specific species this is, so I can be sure I'm caring for it properly?):
Attachment 407
Attachment 408
Attachment 409

jeaninel 12-19-2008 01:22 AM

Very cool DIY background. I swear I see a face in it!

I'm not too good with Africans but I'm guessing maybe an albino peacock?

Kim 12-19-2008 07:53 AM

That is a VERY nice looking tank! Be sure to post more pictures when it has more fish ;)

Twistersmom 12-19-2008 08:05 AM

Looks great! I found the face! Im sure a lot of time and patience went into that background! Turned out lovely!

Think I see two faces!

conger 12-19-2008 08:39 AM

Thanks a bunch guys. I've considered putting up a thread in the DIY forum explaining how I did it, but I just followed a DIY page on another site, so I felt like that would be copying. I guess as long as I give credit to where the info came from, it would be OK!

I let the tank cycle for a couple of months with some neon tetras. Since then, I've really stayed on top of water changes, I'm trying to keep my nitrates under 5 ppm. However, despite my really low nitrates, I keep having to battle red algae... it will start to grow like crazy and I'll have to scrub it all off :(. My other FW tank stays around 10-20ppm nitrates, and there's hardly any algae in it! Doesn't make sense :dunno:. Is it possible that large, frequent water changes might have something to do with it? I currently do about 50% change every weekend, and swish the filter media around in the water I just removed to reduce gunk build-up.

Part of me thinks it has something to do with the background, since my other tank doesn't have it, but I did a decent amount of research before starting to make sure I wasn't putting something dangerous in my tank, and saw no mention anywhere of it feeding algae growth... Oh well, I'll just keep scrubbing when it gets bad.

conger 12-19-2008 08:40 AM

p.s. any faces in the background are purely coincidental! :-P

Amphitrite 12-20-2008 06:10 AM

Ha - now that you mention it I can see a couple of faces! What did you make the background with? And you should definitely post up a DIY thread, I'd love to see how you made it.

Great looking tank! :-D

NMrayn 12-21-2008 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amphitrite (Post 158434)
Ha - now that you mention it I can see a couple of faces! What did you make the background with? And you should definitely post up a DIY thread, I'd love to see how you made it.

Great looking tank! :-D

YES i would love it i dont ahve one on my tank i cant find one i like.

conger 12-21-2008 08:08 PM

Alright, I posted a DIY thread (mis-labeled DIT thread... darn adjacent T and Y keys :oops:).

http://www.fishforum.com/diy-aquariu...kground-19898/

saeed883 12-24-2008 03:54 AM

Awesome tank!