Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   need compatible "food scraper" cleaning fish in oscar tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/need-compatible-food-scraper-cleaning-fish-19839/)

unlimitedx 12-18-2008 08:10 PM

need compatible "food scraper" cleaning fish in oscar tank

Howdy.

My 150+ gallon tank is filled with 2x tiger oscars, 6x silver dollars. I just bought them at the pet store and they're less than 3-4" each.

I am looking to add some type of cleaning fish that eats up all the wastes/leftover food that the other fishes leave out and settle onto the gravel.

Any recommendations?

iamntbatman 12-18-2008 11:12 PM

There's no such thing as a "cleaning fish" really. Any fish you add to the tank is going to add to your bioload, not reduce it. Bottom dwelling fish like a pleco will eat foods that land on the aquarium floor, but they won't eat fish poop or rotting food, and produce a lot of waste themselves. In order to clean this stuff up, you really just need to do gravel vacs on a regular basis.

However, if you're looking for a bottom dweller that will work with the fish you've got, you want something large enough not to get eaten and tough enough to defend itself in need be. I would suggest a larger pleco like a sailfin, a larger species of synodontis catfish, or a school of larger loaches like Botia modesta.

unlimitedx 12-19-2008 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman (Post 158230)
There's no such thing as a "cleaning fish" really. Any fish you add to the tank is going to add to your bioload, not reduce it. Bottom dwelling fish like a pleco will eat foods that land on the aquarium floor, but they won't eat fish poop or rotting food, and produce a lot of waste themselves. In order to clean this stuff up, you really just need to do gravel vacs on a regular basis.

However, if you're looking for a bottom dweller that will work with the fish you've got, you want something large enough not to get eaten and tough enough to defend itself in need be. I would suggest a larger pleco like a sailfin, a larger species of synodontis catfish, or a school of larger loaches like Botia modesta.

Thanks for your input! I went to petsmart and purchased 2x pictus catfishes. They're great!

catfishtabbi 12-19-2008 10:18 PM

I was thinking you would like pictus', but i think an albino channel cat is tougher and they eat round the clock whereas the pictus caves it for most of the day.

unlimitedx 12-19-2008 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catfishtabbi (Post 158406)
I was thinking you would like pictus', but i think an albino channel cat is tougher and they eat round the clock whereas the pictus caves it for most of the day.

Ah, that would have been awesome too. I loved how active the pictus catfishes were once I released them. Now they're sleeping!

unlimitedx 12-20-2008 06:53 PM

They didn't do such a good job of eating the bits of food that sink to the bottom. Boo.

onefish2fish 12-20-2008 08:46 PM

gravel vac-ing w/ water changes and avoiding over feeding is what is going to prevent this

GConn 12-21-2008 08:02 AM

I am a complete newb, so I wouldn't know if this is true but I was told at the pet shop for a fish called "upside-down" :D It is supposed to eat from the gravel in the tank

xDoctor Bob 12-21-2008 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GConn (Post 158567)
I am a complete newb, so I wouldn't know if this is true but I was told at the pet shop for a fish called "upside-down" :D It is supposed to eat from the gravel in the tank

There is such thing as an upside down catfish, but I am not sure if it eats off the gravel.

jeaninel 12-21-2008 03:49 PM

Synodontis nigriventris is commonly called the upside down catfish. I know they like to feed off the surface. Not sure if they eat off the gravel though.