Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Decisions, decisions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/decisions-decisions-198378/)

KPainter 06-05-2013 01:39 PM

Decisions, decisions

My 16g bowfront was decimated by a virulent strain of ich, killing all of my fish. I've since stripped the tank, cleaned it out, added new substrate (eco-complete) and replanted it. I know I want tetras again, but I can't bring myself to do the Von Rios again. I adored those little fish and still think they're beautiful (mine colored up gorgeously) but I feel strange about having them again.

The fish I'm now considering are:

Green neon tetras
Gold neon tetras
Green fire tetras
Ember tetras
Cardinal tetras

I'm okay with a species tank like I had before, but I'm not opposed to having two smaller shoals if they would work.

Have any of you had experience with any of these fish? Any thing you want to tell me about them? Sway me toward or away from one particular kind? Basically, I'm looking for help to decide.

Byron 06-05-2013 02:18 PM

The only problem fish in your list could be the Aphyocharax rathbuni, so-called green fire tetra. This species is known to fin nip, and it also is a very active fish that should be in with similar active fish, and none of the other species in your list are active. So best to leave this one out.

What are your water parameters? Some of the species need very soft water. And the gold neon is cooler water than the others. But aside from this, they will be fine together. Some should have larger groups than others, as noted in our profiles (all these except the green fire are in our profiles BTW).

Byron.

KPainter 06-05-2013 02:26 PM

Maybe the green neons and some embers then!

Byron 06-05-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPainter (Post 2249178)
Maybe the green neons and some embers then!

That would be nice. I happen to have these together in my flooded Amazon tank. At least 12 of each (you've lots of room for these and more in your 38g). Substrate fish would be nice, a group of corys perhaps? And something for upper regions, as both the Ember and the False Neon are mid-water and below.

Byron.

KPainter 06-05-2013 03:17 PM

I'm actually looking for new fish for my 16g - which is why I was thinking species tank. I feel like my 36 is probably at it's max and if I was going to add something else, I'd just up the school of barbs or danios.

Byron 06-05-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPainter (Post 2249594)
I'm actually looking for new fish for my 16g - which is why I was thinking species tank. I feel like my 36 is probably at it's max and if I was going to add something else, I'd just up the school of barbs or danios.

My mistake, yes, you did say 16g bowfront, not 38g. Still, I would go with 12 Ember and 12 false neon. And a group of 5 corys would be OK. I wouldn't worry about upper level fish, as in a 16g the two will probabl be less "lower" than they would in a deeper tank.

KPainter 06-05-2013 05:16 PM

You think the cories would be okay on eco-complete? I've heard yes and no on that one. What kind do you think are best in a smaller group like that? Pandas?

Byron 06-05-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPainter (Post 2250330)
You think the cories would be okay on eco-complete? I've heard yes and no on that one. What kind do you think are best in a smaller group like that? Pandas?

Oh my, another miss:oops:. No, I would not subject corys or loaches to Eco-complete or Flourite. I was told this by a professional catfish importer/breeder, and sadly also found it out for myself.:cry: