Tropical Fish Keeping banner

New to forum ^.^

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  aunt kymmie 
#1 ·
Hello All! I'm new to this forum. I've been keeping fish for about 3 years now. I'm on a couple other fish forums, but thought I should go meet some new people for a change! I'm from Wisconsin/Minnesota and I just completed my first semester as a collage biology student today:-D! I've got 3 tanks currently. I focus mainly on high-tech planted tanks and peaceful nano-fish.

Hope to meet some fun people here!

#6 ·
For plants my 55gal tank has red rubin swords, brown wenditti crypts., cabomba, H. corybosa, and those red lily pads. There name escapes me ATM. Possible some other plants I'm forgetting. Fish are ornate rainbows, rummy-nosed tetras, panda garras, true SAE, and endlers and most likely some endler fry:-?. Non fish inhabitants are ramshorn snails, cherry shrimp, and two caecilians.

My 20 gallon is filled mainly with H. polysperma, Süßwassertang, and pennywort. Inhabitants are b. briggiate, gerturdae's rainbow fish, threadfin rainbows, clown killis, a male betta, a cory, some where around 50 endler fry ranging from 2 months to a couple days. Also some pest snails and a massive cherry shrimp colony.

The 15 gallon is for excess plants. It's filled w/ brown wenditti crypts, h. corybosa, java moss, and cabomba. Fish are 9 young german blue rams, who I've raise from 1/4 inch to currently 1" long. They are just starting to reach maturity. For endler fry control:roll:. Also the ever present cherry shrimp and snails....

#7 ·
Sound like some beautiful tanks! I'd love to see some pictures. The clown killies don't go after the Endler fry? I've never owned clowns by my golden wonder killifish eats any fish that will fit in his mouth. Guppy, Endler and swordtail fry have never lasted more than a few seconds in that tank.

Are the rams going in the 20, the 55, or both? They will likely make snacks of cherry shrimp and might get in fights with the betta (not to mention each other) so be careful!

Also, what is b. briggiate? I'm not familiar with this scientific name and search results turned up nothing.

#8 ·
LOL. I spelt it wrong Boraras brigittae. No the killies don't bother the fry, I wish they did. Currently I have no fish that will eat the fry in any of my tanks. Some day old ones are swimming round w/ the rams, the rams haven't touched them. I may need to fast them so they get the idea.

A few of the rams are going in the 55gal. I wanted a pair, but didn't want to pay $14 each for them at a store. I bought the 9 fry for $7 at an auction. Most will be sold off once they are adults. The betta was living with them up to today, but I pulled him out as the rams have started to mature. The male betta is a real coward.

I'm not sure on them eating the cherry shrimp, they have been living with a small colony since I got them. There is definetly a possiblity, but I have hunderds of cherry shrimp. Eating them may be a good thing.

Here are pics. I've been studying for finals, so the tanks currently don't look as nice as the pics. Over grown and in dire need of fertilizer. I am planing on rescaping the 55 soon, as I hate the scape. The swords are getting way to big:-?, every thing needs to be flipped around.

#10 ·
Very NICE tanks and very nice fish!

I have a question on your Süßwassertang.
I ordered some but it arrived DOA and am hesitant about getting any more of it.
Do you find it a slow grower? What type of ferts does it require?
Is that Süßwassertang growing on the bottom of your tank
in the second picture you posted??

#12 ·
Thanks for all the comments!

Yeah thats all Süßwassertang in the bottom of the tank in the second pic. I would call it a slow-medium grower. I bought a portion of it from Aquaticmagic a little over a year ago. I've sold a couple handfuls of it , but what you see in the pic is basically all its grown. The more I get the faster is seems to grow, that pic is about a month old and there is definelty quite a bit more now. The tank it is in has 2wpg w/ pressurried co2. I used the flourish line for quite a while and it grew fine, but slow. Then I switched to EI ferts and noticed quite a growth increase. I wouldn't say EI ferts are nessacary, I just think Süßwassertang perfers heavy fertilizing. So what ever you use I would definetly add excess. It also doesn't seem to need a lot of light, it is shaded most of the time and can survive in near darkness. It is really thick in some spots.

It is quite rigid. The fish can't get into it, which is probably why the cherry shrimp love it so much. Even the cory sits on top of it. I was doing a water change today and I must of spooked one of my threadfins, he dove into the Süßwassertang and got very stuck. Only his tail was sticking out and I actually had to reach in and free him:lol:, cuz he was starting to panic.

These are pics as of today, a few hours after a water change.

#13 ·
I love your Süßwassertang. It looks so healthy and lush. I didn't buy mine from AquaticMagic even though I use them alot. I bought mine off AquaBid. I'll order it from AqauticMajic this time. Thanks for the info. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.