Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Pets at home (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/pets-home-19781/)

sylar 12-14-2008 07:54 PM

Pets at home

I recently went to pets at home in coventry and i found around 15 dead fish just floating around in various fish tanks. I told the shop assistant and she just looked at me like i was stupid and said "ok thanks for letting me know". I carried on looking at the fish for a further 15 mins and she didnt even do anything about it. Is this just common in big pet stores or are pets at home crap?

ps: sorry if i should have posted this thread in a more suitable place but im a newbie. thanx

Cody 12-14-2008 07:55 PM

I've never heard of Pets at home.

But generally, all pet stores have terrible fish care.

sylar 12-14-2008 07:58 PM

Im sorry im sooo stupid. I joined this forum without even looking what country it was in. I live in England, sorry :oops:

Cody 12-14-2008 09:25 PM

Oh, no problem! There are plenty of UK'ers here. :-)

dallops_of_polyps 12-14-2008 10:43 PM

Isn't amphirite* sorry if. Mispelled from London?

dramaqueen 12-14-2008 10:46 PM

I think Willow is.

Tyyrlym 12-15-2008 11:35 AM

Big chain stores are hit or miss... sort of like a LFS. Sometimes you get someone who's dedicated and cares about the condition of the fish, other times you get poorly trained minimum wage fish netters. It really takes going to the store and paying attention, asking some questions. Personally I've got 3 Petsmarts (which I think owns Pets at Home) within 5 miles of my house. I've yet to see a really sick fish in any of the stores and the total number of dead fish I could count without taking off my shoes. When they've got over 50 tanks and probably about 1,000 fish a single floater isn't doing too bad. They're not where I usually go for my fish but if they were my only option I wouldn't be too upset. I've also got a Petco nearby that I wouldn't even take a gallon of water from, it's a little aquatic hell on earth. Same thing with some LFS, some are great, some will be a bigger benefit to the hobby when they go out of business.

Take your time, investigate, and if the place doesn't meet your expectations don't buy their fish. Big chains and LFS, neither is perfect, judge them on their merits store by store.

dramaqueen 12-15-2008 12:02 PM

My Petsmart is good, too. I haven't seen very many dead fish there either. I DID see a betta with swimbladder disorder a couple of weeks ago and I told a girl in the fish department and showed her the fish. She said "oh, the poor thing looks bad. I'll take him to our infirmary right away." They seem to care about their fish.

Amphitrite 12-15-2008 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dallops_of_polyps (Post 157530)
Isn't amphirite* sorry if. Mispelled from London?

LoL, no I'm from Scotland. We do have Pets at Home here in Scotland but I've never actually been in one. For fish and fish supplies I prefer to use a small, fairly local store where they have good knowledge and care for the welfare of the fish.

dallops_of_polyps 12-15-2008 03:09 PM

oh i was close though because you are from the UK. half credit :)