Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Yellow color in the subtratel??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/yellow-color-subtratel-19773/)

Silli_Millivanilli 12-14-2008 01:51 PM

Yellow color in the subtratel???

There is a yellow discoloration in my subtrate. It's only on one side of the tank. The said closest to the window. So I am guessing it is algae. I haven't rushed to clean it out because I figured it could also be something good/beneficial and that cleaning it out may cause an imbalance in the water. Anybody got any ideas of what it could be?

Kim 12-14-2008 03:49 PM

Is it a light brown? Could be brown algae. If it's algae, and it's only in a small section, cleaning it may be a good thing. Probably don't take it out of the tank, but if you can give it a scrub with a tooth brush, or just take out a few top rocks and scrub it that would work. Then, I would try and eliminate the sunlight (possible put a background on the side). Algae is not bad for your fish, but it can take over your tank and be a pain to clean. Getting rid of it now is probably the best option.

onefish2fish 12-14-2008 10:25 PM

i agree on blocking out the sunlight, maybe use a blind. direct sunlight to the tank will just rapidly grow algae.

Tyyrlym 12-15-2008 08:22 AM

If you can then a background on that side of the tank would do the trick. Something thick enough to block the light out.

1077 12-15-2008 09:09 AM

Another thing to consider are dead spots. By that i mean areas in the tank where there is little water movement.This can and does allow detrius,decaying organics etc. to collect in one spot due to lack of water movement in that area. A small airstone could help in this regard.;-)

Silli_Millivanilli 12-15-2008 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim (Post 157465)
Is it a light brown? Could be brown algae. If it's algae, and it's only in a small section, cleaning it may be a good thing. Probably don't take it out of the tank, but if you can give it a scrub with a tooth brush, or just take out a few top rocks and scrub it that would work. Then, I would try and eliminate the sunlight (possible put a background on the side). Algae is not bad for your fish, but it can take over your tank and be a pain to clean. Getting rid of it now is probably the best option.

yea. it is like a yellowish brown. that window is the only source of light in the room. I rarely even use the aquarium light because I think it'll throw the fish off their normal schedule. I mean, how would I feel if God just decided to raise the sun at 9 O' Clock at night? So, I don't want to cheat them from the little bit of light they get as it is. Thanks. I'll clean it out in a week or so. I just added like six fish to my tank. I dont want to throw off the embalance by cleaning it out, if that is even possible.

Silli_Millivanilli 12-15-2008 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 157570)
Another thing to consider are dead spots. By that i mean areas in the tank where there is little water movement.This can and does allow detrius,decaying organics etc. to collect in one spot due to lack of water movement in that area. A small airstone could help in this regard.;-)

thanks, and that reminds me. the fish all seem to congregate on one side of the tank. the side that is away from the window and the yellowish substance. I wonder why? Like the entire right side of my tank will be full of fish, and the left side will be nothing.

Tyyrlym 12-15-2008 11:20 AM

Actually the fish will adjust to a different light schedule quickly. My tank lights don't come on till 10 in the morning and don't go off till 10 or so at night.

iamntbatman 12-15-2008 01:10 PM

What kind of fish do you have? Different fish have differing preferences for light levels, so it could be that your fish are just staying out of the bright sunlight.

Silli_Millivanilli 12-15-2008 03:25 PM

I have 6 harlequins, 6 cherry barbs, 2 blue gouramies, and 1 pleco. Like I said, I barely ever use the aquarium light. I just used it over the weekend because one of my harlequins disappeared.I was searching the tank for it, but no luck. I had 8. One died. The other disappeared. LOL. Probably for sucked up while i was cleaning the tank.