Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   What is this red stuff (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/what-red-stuff-19707/)

f6hlct 12-10-2008 06:23 PM

What is this red stuff

1 Attachment(s)

I am just new to this forum, and this is my first post, so please go easy on me for this one. My tank is about 12 years old, but I have just started to get this red stuff growing at a good rate. I know the red slimy stuff is cyano, and it is easy to brush off, but this is not what I am looking at. This stuff has the consistency of a mushroom when touched, and does not easily brush off as cyano would. It has taken 2 forms in my tank. One type is like steel wool or a very open sponge. It will grow to about ½” in thickness, and at this state, you can pull off a chunk in you hand. It really has the texture of a sponge and is firm. The other form is like mushrooms growing out the side of a tree. They have the same feel and red color, but they do not get much bigger in size that ¼”, but they do grow in clusters. Both of these are fast growing. I am not sure where they came from, as I have not added anything recently that could explain them.

I don’t much care for them, so I am trying to find out what it is, and how to get rid of it. I am open to any suggestions.

Pasfur 12-10-2008 06:33 PM

I do not know.
Kell? Cody? Steve?

f6hlct 12-11-2008 03:22 PM

Is there no one on this thread that can help me with this mystery. I am trying to get rid of it from my tank, and part of the process is to know what it is. I find it hard to believe that I am the only person to have this strange stuff growing at a prolific rate. Come on. Please help.

ajmckay 12-11-2008 10:01 PM

Woah there... First off, give it some time... Be patient because I would say that post-for-post there are some very knowledgeable members in this forum.

Next, while I have no clue what it is, I think that this is something you could be a little more pro-active with. I think you should perform some science experiments on it... Based on your description and picture I would say that it is probably either an algae or a sponge, don't you agree?

Now you say that it grows fast, but how fast does it really grow? How much does it spread in a week would you say? Also, take into consideration HOW it grows... Does it grow in a radial pattern, lines, or random? Does it branch out from a center, or do colonies pop up everywhere? Maybe compare how it grows with other algae species and sponge species. Observe it carefully and document the characteristics just as carefully.

Do you have access to a microscope or at least a powerful magnifying glass? Maybe magnify it and see if you can see anything? A magnified sponge will look different than algae I believe.

You could also try some chemical tests... Do a search for an algaecide and try a small quantity of it on a piece you've extracted from the aquarium. If it kills it then it is probably an algae. You could also try drying it out to see what it looks like then. Boil it... Dip it in acid and alkaline liquids... Bleach it?

Well anyways... I know it's a lot easier to rattle off ideas than actually try them, but with 12 years experience I'm sure you're quite knowledgeable in the hobby, and so you could probably think of some good ways to find out what this "red stuff" is other than googling it... If you do identify it I think it would be beneficial to others if you were to post more pictures and information.

GOOD LUCK!!

klosxe 12-30-2008 01:32 PM

I am not sure either, but my best guess, would be coraline algae, or red slime algae perhaps? The picture isnt the best, so I am not really sure....

SKAustin 12-31-2008 12:20 AM

Looks/sounds like it may be a type of sponge, Monanchora unguifera perhaps?

Cody 12-31-2008 01:36 AM

To me, it looks like coraline.

You may want to touch it, either with your hand (wear gloves!) or something else. If it seems hard, then it i most likely coraline. If it "melts away" then it could possibly be some type of bad algae, or if it reacts and/or is squishy than it could be a sponge like Steve said.

SKAustin 12-31-2008 06:12 AM

Cody, Note the Quote.
Quote:

Originally Posted by f6hlct (Post 156911)
This stuff has the consistency of a mushroom when touched, and does not easily brush off as cyano would. It has taken 2 forms in my tank. One type is like steel wool or a very open sponge. It will grow to about ½” in thickness, and at this state, you can pull off a chunk in you hand. It really has the texture of a sponge and is firm.

Cody 12-31-2008 01:59 PM

Oh, sorry about that.

It does sound like a sponge to me as well.

cerianthus 01-01-2009 07:08 PM

I believe this is sort of red Macro (Halymenia or Laurencia Sp.??). It is not sponge IMO. From the pic, it look more like algae which I admired in my tanks due to fact that of contrasting color to common Green color of Macros. I would not get rid of it unless it is growing out of proportion. If have FOWLR tank, try feeding to grazers(algae blenny, tangs, foxface, etc) If they do, free food!!! This might be indication that NO3 and/or PO4 may be getiing too high. Some algae would utilize NO3, PO4, it might be good idea to just control rather than eradicate. If sump or refuge is available, try moving the algae, if possible, into sump/refuge.