Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   good place to get quality java moss? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/good-place-get-quality-java-moss-19703/)

yippee 12-10-2008 02:54 PM

good place to get quality java moss?

as the title suggests i am looking to get some java moss in the near future, i was looking for suggestions on where to get a good deal on good quality moss. I've looked on liveaquaria and i didnt see anything other than moss balls. and on bayleesfishees i saw some java moss but its attached to driftwood which i'm not necessarily looking for. aquabid had some, but i'm not sure on the quality i would be getting. any help is appreciated.

xcracer 12-11-2008 12:24 AM

if its possible i can send some (i am in australia) firs off how much are you after??? i have some good stuff

aunt kymmie 12-11-2008 12:29 AM

There is a seller on aquabid named aquaticmagic. They have lots of mosses. My shipment of moss from them was top quality. I even placed an even larger order from them today.

I wish I was close to Au. If I was I'd take xcracer up on his offer!

yippee 12-11-2008 02:29 AM

xc, how much are you selling? the more i can get the better off i am. I have multiple tanks to set up and wish to use java moss in most of them. depending how much you have to sale we might can work out something. the only downside is i live in texas (united states) so i'm not sure on shipping. we could always get a quote and see from there.

aunt, thanks for the tip. if things don't work out with xc i'll definitely look them up.

thanks to both of you.

onefish2fish 12-11-2008 05:17 AM

my LFS handed me a large clump for free. this stuff isnt hard to grow so really it should be free or cheap. take a look around your fish stores, see if they can get some in with their next order or even try placing a wanted ad on craigslist.com - im sure someone with good growth wouldnt mind handing over a decent handful for cheap or free.

aunt kymmie 12-11-2008 10:47 AM

Great advice onefish....I never thought of just asking the LFS to order it for me, duh. They don't stock it for some reason. They have all kinds of other fancy plants though. It's like you say...so cheap they probably don't bother with it. Craigslist...another great idea. I use craigslist all the time to buy but didn't think to use it for that. Another DUH!

SinCrisis 12-14-2008 12:11 AM

well petco often has java moss rolled up in a ball that they try to pass off as mossball. I just got one of those and unraveled it from the ball. also if you get a lower quality moss, as long as ur tank is decent, the moss should bounce back. its a tough plant

iamntbatman 12-18-2008 02:57 AM

You could try posting a want ad on craigslist. I know a lot of people grow the stuff like crazy in their tanks and would be willing to give some away to another hobbyist. I actually need to do some serious trimming on the java moss monstrosity that's taken over my 29g community, but the trimmings will probably get attached to the driftwood in the Dempsey tank. None for you!:tease:

aunt kymmie 12-18-2008 10:32 AM

Hey, why so mean?? It's Christmas and you should give me some!! :lol: I can issue you a FedEx call tag to come pick up! It will be cheaper for me than shipping to AU ;-)

Kim 12-20-2008 10:44 AM

Baylees does have it, I just don't think it's on the website. I ordered some, so I know it's there ;) You could probably just ask for it. Unfortunately I can't grow it :( I am so jealous of you people because I'd love to have it growing on my driftwood or make a moss wall...sigh