Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Got a Turquoise Rainbow! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/got-turquoise-rainbow-196882/)

RackinRocky 06-03-2013 08:59 PM

Got a Turquoise Rainbow!

2 Attachment(s)
I got this young, approx. 2-2.5 inch fish today, and went by what I'd read online to sex it. I read females tend to be less aggressive,and I don't want any aggression in my tanks, so I got what I think is a female. Front dorsal fin doesn't quite meet back one, body is more torpedo shaped than some of the others in the tank, color is more silvery and not quite as blue as some of the others.

What do you think? Male or female?

Attachment 141154

Attachment 141162

jaysee 06-03-2013 09:18 PM

It's too small to sex yet. Once they get a little bigger, males will develop a humped back.

I have to ask....why did you only buy one? And is that the tank you intend to keep it in or is that a quarantine tank?

RackinRocky 06-03-2013 10:30 PM

Thanks, Jaycee. LOL, no I'd never keep it in that! Its a 5 gallon Kritter Keeper, just as a quarantine tank. Its going into my 55 gallon after quarantine is over.

jaysee 06-03-2013 10:36 PM

I've got a good amount of rainbow experience, and I think you might have an issue with the rainbow and the guppies and bettas. They are a large, active, schooling fish. Rainbows do have a tendency of acting out when kept singly. They may start treating the other fish like rainbows, which will be received as harassment. They really ought to be kept in a school.

RackinRocky 06-03-2013 10:47 PM

I had read that they can be kept singly. Oh boy... I thought I was doing the right thing. I did research them for hours. I didn't want to have a school of them because I'd read also that when breeding they can become aggressive. I would be more than happy to get this guy (or girl) another couple of friends, but I'm also afraid they might gang up on, and injure one of my female bettas. And as you know, the bettas are much slower. The guppies will be kept in another tank, by the way. They are just being quarantined with this one since I just got them all today. If you feel strongly that I should get a few more rainbows, I'll do that. I was just afraid of mass carnage in the tank.

jaysee 06-03-2013 10:54 PM

They can get somewhat aggressive with each other when breeding. I keep 6 pearl gouramis with my rainbows - though they are not bettas, they are somewhat similar. I really think that getting a few more will solve a problem before it becomes one.

Keeping rainbows with bettas is not the best idea, conventionally speaking. Most, if not everyone else will tell you not to. I think it can work. I think the odds for you are better than 50/50 that it will.

RackinRocky 06-04-2013 12:52 PM

Thanks! Do you recommend I get all of one sex? I don't want breeding aggression going on. I worry when there is any kind of bully in the tank. as the other fish get stressed out, and that's not what fishkeeping is about! LOL. I want to be able to enjoy them. My female bettas are all very laid back and sweet. I've only had to take one back to the fish store because she was chasing the others relentlessly. How many other Rainbows should I get? And should they be turquoise, or something else?

jaysee 06-04-2013 01:34 PM

The short answer to your question is I don't think that there will be fish large enough to sex for sale, based on the one you have. If you are going to try to keep a school of rainbows with your bettas, then I would just stick to the one species and get as many as you're going to get. At least 4 or 5 more. The sexes will be what they will be. Watching their breeding behaviors is a big part of the enjoyment of keeping rainbows, so if that's not something you care for then I wouldn't get them, because they will do it every morning. Aggressive is relative, and stress is a part of life. If you want to keep fish in a stress free environment then it's best to stick to Corys and tetras. Otherwise, there is situational aggression with most fish - even with tetras. The stress you should be most concerned about is harassment.

It's not too late to take the rainbow back. It's certainly the "smart" thing to do. If you want to experiment, I will be watching closely to see how it goes, because that's something I find very interesting.

Sent from Petguide.com App

Sanguinefox 06-04-2013 01:43 PM

From what I understand about Rainbows, is that you want to have a good male to female ratio to help distribute aggression. of course right now at that size they are too young (if you get more like the one you have) to sex.

You are always going to be better off having a group over one regardless of the sex. So be sure to go grab more when you get a chance so that they animals can be happier and not become an issue down the road. Besides having a group is always a lovely thing. I have mixed Rainbows in my 150 and they are such fun to watch! They have a lot of personality and they will pick at each other but since there are enough of them any bickering is kept between rainbow and rainbow. They never bother other fish.

jaysee 06-04-2013 02:04 PM

Yeah, mine don't have anything to do with the other fish. HOWEVER, they do inspect new (non rainbow) additions to the tank. They like to get a close look at them and follow them around for a little while. After that, they couldn't care less.

Sent from Petguide.com App