Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   New 30 gallon tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/new-30-gallon-tank-196610/)

Joshp689 06-03-2013 03:08 PM

New 30 gallon tank

Hello every one Its been awhile sense I was last here, but I need advice agian. I used to have a very nice 75 gallon cichlid tank, but i had to sell it because I moved to a smaller place. now I have a 30 gallon (not 100% its a 30 but its really close) and I am building my stalking list so when I get it up and running I allready have a plan.

Here is what I am thinking so far(none of these fish are for sure, more so to give you an idea of what I want)

Ram (Papiliochromis ramirezi)
Double Full Red Cockatoo Cichlid (Apistogramma cacatuoides)
Firemouth Cichlid (Thorichthys meeki) I know they get big but its my favorie cichlid
Orange Cockatoo Cichlid (Apistogramma cacatuoides)
Scarlet Gem Badis (Dario dario)
Badis (Badis badis)

These fish are not in any order, I also will want a catfish and an "odd ball" fish(something that when it comes out everyone is like "wow", "what is that")

jennesque 06-03-2013 04:22 PM

Heehee, stocking list? ;) are you trying to keep all those in the same tank?
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 06-03-2013 07:18 PM

You might be able to mix 2 of the dwarf cichlid species, especially if its a true 30 gallon (36 inches long). If its a 29 gallon (30 inches) then I would just stick to one species. Corys would be good for catfish. For an oddball "wow" fish.... ummm.....

Joshp689 06-04-2013 11:37 AM

I am think 2-3 german blue rams, 2 scarlet badis, 2-3 Nanus Cory Cat, 1-2 Mandarin Shrimp, and Pitbul Pleco (LDA25) or Butterfly Pleco (L052) or Lepord frob pleco (L134)

Joshp689 06-10-2013 09:32 AM

I mesured the tank its 24x18x16 about 20 gallons, I am working on just getting a 30 or 40 gallon

jennesque 06-10-2013 09:43 AM

One 'problem' I would say is that the scarlet badis are supposedly fairly hard to get to eat. I haven't owned them, that's what I've heard though. In my own experience, blue rams can sometimes be hard to feed as well..

Also, to keep blue rams in that small of a tank you would probably just want to get one or two. They're pretty aggressive when spawning and they can be mean to each other if they don't pair off. I had a male and female in the tank and apparently he didn't like her and she just stopped eating due to the stress. She wouldn't go anywhere near him, and this was in a two foot tank so she was unable to really get away from him to relieve the stress. If you get an actual bonded pair they would be fine.. But they may nip while they're actually spawning. Mine never did any damage, but the cories, definitely ate all the eggs.

Also not sure how big mandarin shrimp are but rams will eat many of the dwarf shrimp. Be careful of that. :)

Those measurements are similar to my 28gal Bowfront.. Not exactly though.
Posted via Mobile Device

KPainter 06-10-2013 10:24 AM

That seems like too small a group of corydoras to me.

jaysee 06-10-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshp689 (Post 2288721)
I mesured the tank its 24x18x16 about 20 gallons

That's 30 gallons.

If it's 24 inches long and 18 inches wide, then I think that's plenty of space for a school of corys - it's a 20% larger footprint than a standard 29 gallon tank.

Jeffrey 06-28-2013 11:07 PM

I have scarlet badis in my current tank. They are extremely difficult to feed. I have only ever seen them eat baby cherry shrimp, fortunately I have a thriving colony of cherries for exactly this purpose :lol: