Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Alkalinity Test & Aquarium Gloves?

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  SKAustin 
#1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good alkalinity test? I have the Red Sea alkalinity test and it is HORRIBLE. It doesn't give me a number, but rather just says Low, Medium or High and gives me a range of my possible alkalinity. Like I said it is HORRIBLE. I don't know why I got it.

Also, does anyone use dedicated aquarium gloves? It's just everytime I stick my hands in the aquarium, I worry that there is some soap residue that my harm my fish (even though I wash my hands with regular water without any soap before putting my hands in the aquarium).

Thanks.

#2 ·
I use the API test kits. They're inexpensive, easy to conduct and generally, easy to decipher.

As for hands in my tank, I use gloves only when I have to handle the corals so that I can avoid contact with the palytoxins. I've had my hands in the tank on occasion (like powerhead adjustments), but generally, If i need to do anything in the tank, I use a pair of Eheim Plant Tongs. For spot feedings, I use another tool by Kent Marine called the Sea Squirt.

#4 ·
Aquarium Water Testing: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals KH/carbonate and Calcium Test Kits

There's a dKH test kit, and you might as well get a calcium test kit if you don't already have one.

I only use rubber gloves if I'm handling the live rock. I have a box of arm length plastic gloves that my sister got me from her vet school that I use if I'm adjusting anything else inside the tank or working with anything in the sump (I use the rubber gloves on top of the plastic gloves). I have dry hands that tend to crack in the winter if I don't keep lotion on them, and I don't want that getting in the tank; no telling what chemicals are in the lotion.

#5 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.