Tropical Fish Keeping banner

new fish

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  iamntbatman 
#1 ·
hi. i was thinking of getting another fish for my tank, preferably a center piece fish. i have a 20 long tank with 3 tiger barbs and 3 cherry barbs. i also have a ghost shrimp or 2 ( they latched a ride in the bag my rosies came in:p). i was wondering if maybe a red tail shark was a good idea. they look so nice and they would look good against my black gravel. seeing as i only have a 20 long, I'm not sure if he'll have enough space. will he? if not, help me decide on another center piece fish i could get. I'm planning to plant my tank really soon with some easy care plants such as dwarf anubias and some java moss & fern. maybe some dwarf hairgrass too (maybe). can you guys help me decide? thanks for the help. :-D

#2 ·
Maybe some type of dwarf cichlid.

#4 ·
I'd recommend against a shark in a 20 gallon tank. Rainbow, albino, and red tailed sharks all get into the 6"+ size range and a 20 gallon tank would be cramped for them. A dwarf cichlid might be more at home in your tank, such as a german blue ram. They get to about 2" or so.

#6 ·
Provided you have large enough schools of the barbs, you should be fine. Also, any sort of cichlid knows how to defend itself and wouldn't take kindly to fin-nipping (well, maybe not angels...they're kind of pansies). For example, I recently added a jewel cichlid to my 20g with my tiger barbs. They tried to nip his tail...once. They've since learned their lesson. This fish is smaller than all but one of the barbs, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.