Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Diving (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diving/)
-   -   Ocean Encounter... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diving/ocean-encounter-19623/)

aunt kymmie 12-06-2008 03:25 PM

Ocean Encounter...

Okay, I wasn't diving or snorkeling but this morning while surfing a small pod of dolphins cruised closely by and some pelicans were fishing right next to me. The perfect way to start the day!! :-D

Cody 12-06-2008 03:42 PM

Surfing? We call it snowboarding, but whatever. :-)

That must have been nice!

aunt kymmie 12-06-2008 07:14 PM

Yes, it was great. I'm lucky to live less than a mile from the ocean. I take advantage of it as much as I can! I just wish the water wasn't so freaking cold here for diving and that there was more to see directly off the coast. Diving starts getting pricey when you have to book a dive boat. Instead, I'm saving my money for another dive vacation somewhere in the tropics. I'm thinking March....

Nudist 12-06-2008 08:56 PM

WOW thats so neat to hear darlin, i have only been out one time and had dolphins come up to us and it was fantastic to watch. i do have to agree with you on the other things you said about you being lucky to live that close to the water but it a shame the water is that cold. its not near as much fun to dive in a wetsuit or even a dry suit for that matter but at least you will enjoy it again this spring.

Steve

dramaqueen 12-06-2008 11:24 PM

It would be neat to see dolphins up close.

dramaqueen 12-07-2008 05:16 PM

I never snowboarded when I lived in Colorado but I DID ski.

Kim 12-07-2008 06:31 PM

Oh gosh..you guys certainly have a way of making me want to scuba dive. My dad and I have been wanting to do it for a while, but it is kind of costly along with all the other hobbies we have. And, the ocean near us is usually cold enough to make your feet go numb even during the summer :( Oh well, maybe I'll ask for a wet suit for my B-day. IF it happens I will to take some pics and post them here.

Nudist 12-07-2008 06:50 PM

Kim, if the water is that cold a wet suit wouldnt help that much, you would need to get a dry suit. i have never used a dry suit myself because of how much they cost but i have had on a wet suit while others had a dry suit and when we got out of the water i was freezing and the others were nice and warm.

Steve

dallops_of_polyps 12-07-2008 08:43 PM

that's crazy at my cousins house in saint petersburg Florida dolphins swim by like every hour it's so cool and the water is nice in toasty too almost to toasty like 90 degrees.

aunt kymmie 12-07-2008 11:40 PM

Just a small point of clarification:

Dolphins & Porpoises belong to the order of Cetacea, as are whales.
The dolphins I saw yesterday while surfing were most likely Pacific Bottlenose. They are very common in the waters off our coast.

Coryphaena hippurus is a fish. It is also known as the common dolphin fish, mahi mahi, or dorado. Their colors are dazzling and they make for great eating.

As far as "Flipper" is concerned....thank you, my dear herefishy, for bringing back sweet memories of my childhood. "Flipper" was a great TV show. They just don't do TV like that anymore. Instead, we have Reality TV. My favorite is "Going For The Elk Dung". That kid Cody from Colorado set off an avalanche! :lol: