Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Rainbow Sharks (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/rainbow-sharks-19584/)

andulrich4all 12-04-2008 07:22 PM

Rainbow Sharks

Hello,
I have one rainbow shark in my tank and I am curious why I don't see him that much. He seems to hide in a crevice I have in my driftwood. He is in there a lot. Every once in a while he comes out and swims around the tank real fast then goes right back in. Does he need some more friends or is this the nature of a rainbow shark?

Thanks!

iamntbatman 12-04-2008 09:44 PM

I would say it's his nature. Give it some time for it to adjust to the tank and he'll eventually start coming out more. Definitely do not get him any "friends"; rainbow sharks are highly territorial and will not take kindly to other territorial bottom dwellers, especially other rainbow sharks.

andulrich4all 12-04-2008 09:48 PM

awesome, i appreciate it! I have had him for a couple months, how long would you say it would be before he is adjusted enough to come out more?

iamntbatman 12-04-2008 10:48 PM

If he's been in there for that long, you could also try adding more hiding places and plants to the tank. The more hiding places there are, the more secure the fish will feel so it might come out more.

andulrich4all 12-04-2008 10:50 PM

Cool, I actually ordered some plants and they should be coming in tomorrow. I am thinking about building a cave out of some rocks for him to hide as well.

Thanks for the help Batman

Cody 12-04-2008 10:52 PM

I've also noticed that sharks tend to be more active in the evening and night.

Just a thought.

andulrich4all 12-04-2008 10:57 PM

Yeah I have noticed that as well. He comes out more when the light is off. Pretty much the only time I really see him during the day is if a fish or shrimp ventures into his little cave he comes chasing them out and goes right back in.

aunt kymmie 12-05-2008 12:16 AM

You might want to consider adding some LED moonlights. I added them to my tank and voila! Out comes the pictus, who I never used to see at all. He has too large of a driftwood cave that he's completely secure in that he simply won't leave, unless a curious loach thinks he's going to "play" around the entrance. Then the pictus does the dart & chase, then right back into the cave, same as your shark! The "moonlight" draws him out so I'm able to enjoy watching him *cruise* the tank.

andulrich4all 12-05-2008 02:48 PM

sounds like a cool idea. I will look into adding a moonlight. Do I just add a whole fixture to my tank with a moonlight bulb in it??

aunt kymmie 12-05-2008 05:40 PM

iamntbatman gave me the link for my moonlight strip. It's always nice when someone else does the research for you! My tank is 70" across so fitting a strip across the top, in addition to my regular lighting, was pretty simple. I don't know the dimensions of your tank or how much room you have on top of it??? They have all types of options when it comes to moonlight LED fixtures so finding something that will work in addition to what you already have should be relatively easy. I found that they weren't all that expensive either, which was a plus!!