Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   starting a 20 gal-fish recomedations please (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/starting-20-gal-fish-recomedations-please-19556/)

sakemomo 12-03-2008 04:57 PM

starting a 20 gal-fish recomedations please

after christmas is over i want to start up my spare 20gal and i would like your opinions on fish to stock it with once it finishes cycling. i have a general idea of what i want but want to make sure its going to work out.

i want a community tank as i find them so self-sustaining/cleaning and i love that. i want this tank to be a bit more active then my current docile 25gal. so i was thinking, 1 red tailed shark, 1 golden algae eater, a couple bottom feeders that will be ok with the other fish, i think corys would be too docile and then tiger barbs to fill the rest of the space.

willow 12-03-2008 05:23 PM

hello :)
hmm i don't think i would add the golden algae eater
they will eventually grow rather big,and become agressive to
the point of killing your fish. :(

iamntbatman 12-04-2008 02:31 AM

Is this a 20 tall, or 20 long?

I agree with willow - the Chinese algae eater is a very poor community resident. It will stop eating your algae and instead start eating your other fish. Also, it would definitely not get along with the red tailed shark. I would skip out on the shark as well unless it's a 20 long.

sakemomo 12-04-2008 06:07 AM

its not that tall...a bit longer then then tall, but its not that long either. it looks like your average rectangle really... would that be ok for the shark or does it need to be longer?

at what size does the golden algae eater start eating the other fish instead of the algae? i have one in my 25 gal because i was stupid and listened to the pet store clerk when i asked them for a good algae eater for my docile community tank... he's somewhere between 2-3 inches long right now. so far no little fish have gone missing though

Nudist 12-04-2008 07:37 AM

a 20 long measures: L 30 1/4 x W 12 1/2 x H 12 3/4

a 20 high measures: L 24 1/4 x W 12 1/2 x H 16 3/4

Steve

iamntbatman 12-04-2008 05:23 PM

The Chinese algae eater will get to six inches for sure, although I've heard of (and seen pictures of) big fat ten-inchers. It's hard to say when it will turn aggressive, but it is almost a certainty. I would return the one in the 25g tank just to be safe. A great alternative is a smaller species of pleco, like the bristlenose pleco. It will stay small, won't attack other fish, and is much better at eating algae. Just be sure you've got some driftwood in the tank for it to gnaw on.

The reason I ask about the tank dimensions is because a longer tank allows for more swimming room, so would let you keep something that's more active like possibly smaller rainbows or rummynose tetras. A taller tank won't be as long, so you'll need less active fish, but has more vertical space so might allow for more types of fish.